Why become a member? ×

From D'Addario to Overwater.

paul h

I have been using D'Addario for years. Specifically EXL 180s, the gauges of which are...035/055/075/095.

However my latest bass has shown a difference in string volume between the EA, and DG strings which I have had to compensate for by severely adjusting the pickup heights and using a bit of compression. Not a major problem although the bass side of the pickups are now so low as to be less useful as thumb rests. And I don't really like a lot of compression.

Anyhoo, as I like the sound of the existing pickups and not really wanting to swap them I thought the best option would be go for a slightly heavier gauge of string. I have read a few glowing reports about Overwater strings and so now seems a good time to try them.

My dilemma is whether to go up to Overwater Light Nickels at 045/065/085/100 or medium at 055/075/095/105. Medium may be too much of a jump but Lights might not fix the problem.

If anybody with experience of Overwater strings would like to jump in with some comments about tension that would be cool. Or indeed if anyone has used heavier string gauges to solve a similar output problem that would also be very cool. And the gang.

Ta.

Overwater are good strings - but people have had problems getting them. Don't they do a lighter set than 45-100? Tension wise, I'd say they are a bit more relaxed than D'Addario, but not as flexy as DR Sunbeams.

If you like light nickels, also have a look at the Thomastik jazz rounds - lovely strings, but way too light for me...

I have used DR Fat Beams and hated them. so not really up for more DR. I want to go heavier gauge, lower tension so I still get the playability of my EXLs. I certainly can't be bothered with Overwater if it's going to be a hassle getting them although they do seem to be what I'm after.

I will probably just plump for heavier D'Addarios.

DR Sunbeams are very different from Fat Beams - much smoother feel, warmer sound and lower tension (my favourite all round string - can you guess?). The R Cocco nickels are just a little bit nicer. Pyramid nickels have a slightly rougher surface texture, but are nice - although I've had a set where the low E was a bit "woofy".

I personally wouldn't jump up from 35 to 45 sets - I'd go 40-100 first.

If you want some fun....try the Status black plastic flats. They look like "normal" sizes but are super flexy and twangy for a flat. Not what you'd expect at all......

Edit - forgot to say I never buy DR's from the UK!

Edited by BassBod

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Paul,
Overwater lights generally are 40,60,80,100 for the nickel
I have Overwaters strings on my 6 string fretless and they are the best strings I've ever used after 35 yrs of playing so I would strongly recommend.
I'm about to place an order for 3 sets for my Overwater, Warwick and Jazz bass.
The overwaters seem to last a lot longer too.

If anyone is having trouble getting strings then phone Chris and the guys direct. They are usually very helpful and I am surprised anyone had to wait too long. He always returned my calls or emails no matter what the time of day so he's very dedicated to his work.

I've been a big fan of Fender nickel strings past few yrs.
They are worth a look and not too expensive either from Strings Direct.

Cheers
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7