Why become a member? ×

Making a Precision sound as double bass-ish as possible

Clarky

Given my knackered left hand I will be using my Fender Precision for the first couple of gigs in my new band, rather than the DB. Does anyone have any recommendations for strings to make my P-bass sound as DB-ish as possible? I have tried Trubass strings in the past in the past but TBH found them very thick and unwieldy. IIRC, however, there is another set of black strings that are easier to play and sound quite DB-ish - can anyone tell me what they are - or alternatively recommend something else? Obviously I can also stick some foam under the strings by the bridge if needs be (as I did at our rehearsal on Sunday). Thanks gents and ladies

[quote name='Clarky' post='993129' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:25 AM']Given my knackered left hand I will be using my Fender Precision for the first couple of gigs in my new band, rather than the DB. Does anyone have any recommendations for strings to make my P-bass sound as DB-ish as possible? I have tried Trubass strings in the past in the past but TBH found them very thick and unwieldy. IIRC, however, there is another set of black strings that are easier to play and sound quite DB-ish - can anyone tell me what they are - or alternatively recommend something else? Obviously I can also stick some foam under the strings by the bridge if needs be (as I did at our rehearsal on Sunday). Thanks gents and ladies[/quote]

La Bella Deep Talkers mate

[quote name='Beedster' post='993139' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:39 AM']La Bella Deep Talkers mate[/quote]
I already have Pyramid Gold Flats which sound 'deader' than LaBellas to my ears but still not that DB-ish. I think it was some kind of nylon tapewound strings that I have a recollection of.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='993142' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:40 AM']I already have Pyramid Gold Flats which sound 'deader' than LaBellas to my ears but still not that DB-ish. I think it was some kind of nylon tapewound strings that I have a recollection of.[/quote]

It's not about 'deader' mate, my DB doesn't sound dead, just different to a bass. If this is a long term thing, I'd recommend you get a P-Retro so you can really get into serious tone shaping on the Precision, it allows you to do stuff that most preamp/amps don't

C

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='993149' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:44 AM']Here's a curveball for ya...

Have you got a J at the moment? (I can never keep up with you :) )

If so, roll the tone off, favour the bridge pickup and play right over the neck. As DB-ish as it's possible to get!

A little trick I learned from The Bass Doc.[/quote]

Yep, and with LBs, down-tuning a semi or full note helps even more

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='993149' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:44 AM']Here's a curveball for ya...

If so, roll the tone off, favour the bridge pickup and play right over the neck. As DB-ish as it's possible to get!

Thanks WoT, I may have a Jazz incoming by coincidence (!) so I will give that a try.

Also Beedster, I just googled and found that LaBellas do the nylon tapewounds that I think I was referring to in OP - my bad, mate! I assumed Deep Talkers were just 'ordinary' metal flats. As for my "deader" comment, it was my hamfisted way of saying less bright/ringing.

Edited by Clarky

You’ll never sound like a double bass but you can sound less like a bass guitar if you turn to full bass, play nearer the neck and take some top off the amp. If you want to kill the sound some more try some foam under the strings, but I don't think foam really works in live situations, unless you’re DI’ing.

Your hand problems are only temporary so I wouldn't spend any money on this.

[quote name='chris_b' post='993301' date='Oct 19 2010, 11:10 AM']You’ll never sound like a double bass but you can sound less like a bass guitar if you turn to full bass, play nearer the neck and take some top off the amp. If you want to kill the sound some more try some foam under the strings, but I don't think foam really works in live situations, unless you’re DI’ing.

Your hand problems are only temporary so I wouldn't spend any money on this.[/quote]
Thanks Chris. I tried the foam mute idea on Sunday and didn't think it made any real difference on the E and A and just muffled the D and G, so I wasn't bowled over (hence me posting this thread today). As I am lucky enough to own more than one P-bass I am going to try some La Bella nylon tapewounds on my 51RI Precision (£28 at Stringbusters). If it doesn't suit, I can always sell the strings on BassChat and my total outlay will be less than half of Mrs C's latest driving ticket! :)

That's the reggae trick too!

[quote name='Clarky' post='993129' date='Oct 19 2010, 08:25 AM']Given my knackered left hand I will be using my Fender Precision for the first couple of gigs in my new band, rather than the DB. Does anyone have any recommendations for strings to make my P-bass sound as DB-ish as possible? I have tried Trubass strings in the past in the past but TBH found them very thick and unwieldy. IIRC, however, there is another set of black strings that are easier to play and sound quite DB-ish - can anyone tell me what they are - or alternatively recommend something else? Obviously I can also stick some foam under the strings by the bridge if needs be (as I did at our rehearsal on Sunday). Thanks gents and ladies[/quote]

If you're still looking for sugestions - GHS 3060 Black Nylon Tapewound - my favourites :) I've got them on my Skjold 35" scale usualy downtuned DGCF, on my '51P & will be on my '57 shortly.
They're like the Rotosounds but better made & 'normal sizes', soft feel, just right tension, sound very DBish plucked or thumbed up by the neck. They last too!

I'm waiting for some from the states now, can't find them here at a sensible price :lol:

Cheerz, John

Edited by KiOgon