Why become a member? ×

I'm thinking about having my bass refinished.

Soliloquy

I bought this beautiful bass a few weeks ago, and I've really fallen in love with it.

It's probably the closest bass to a Fodera that I've tried. other than a Fodera. It has a really beautiful 'natural' sound. It doesn't sound overly bassy, or middly, or trebly. Just a very even sounding bass. It's got a great preamp too, but I'm tending to keep the pre switched out.

I'm not sure what the top wood is, I'm not 100% sure what the body wood is come to that lol.

I am thinking about having it refinished though. It's currently got a sort of matt finish to it that I'm not keen on. I've had a couple of basses with this sort of finish, and I just don't think it's at all hard wearing, and it really doesn't show off the bass to it's full potential.

It's got a beautiful top wood, that's very highly figured, and actually has a lot of 'flaming' on it, (very 3D when you hold it to the light). This wood look stunning with a deep gloss coat on it.

I've approached Martin Sims, and he's given me a very good price, it'd take about 6 weeks.

One thing that worried me though is this. Would the bass sound different with a deep gloss coat on rather than the very thin matt coat that's on it now ?

Has anyone changed the finish on their bass, either from this to a deep gloss, or vice versa ?

I bought a Sei bass from a guy a couple of years ago. He ordered it with this sort of finish, but when he collected it, it had been given a deep gloss coat. He didn't like it an told me it had 'spoiled the sound'.