Why become a member? ×

OMG !!

ingenius

Guys,
I think the penny may have dropped tonight.. I bought a MM Stingray 4 string 3 eq off a fellow Bc'er "Captain Bass", and even though i didn't plan to, i used it for rehearsal with the band tonight. My god i have found A tone and the band members commented " what the F*** was that ??" Totally made sense with the stuff we play and i just pushed it through a Sanasmp DDI with my own preset into a flat amp and a 2 x 12. God it was awesome. OK i admit, i love to have nice things and i love all my basses, but i reckon i have found a very happy place with this one
regards
Keith M

For info Guys...
I had the all the tone controls on the Stingray set flat, and i nudged the Mid control a touch backward and forward during the rehearsal as required but i mean only a little. treble and bass knobs stayed at centre dent.
For what its worth and only my opinion, the Sansamp BDDI does favour a hotter output from a bass.
Am loving that stingray sound .. need we cover a show us your Stingray thread ? or has that been done before ?

regards
Keith

[quote name='ingenius' post='994585' date='Oct 20 2010, 11:27 AM']For info Guys...
I had the all the tone controls on the Stingray set flat, and i nudged the Mid control a touch backward and forward during the rehearsal as required but i mean only a little. treble and bass knobs stayed at centre dent.
For what its worth and only my opinion, the Sansamp BDDI does favour a hotter output from a bass.
Am loving that stingray sound .. need we cover a show us your Stingray thread ? or has that been done before ?

regards
Keith[/quote]

There is a thread in the Gear section below :)

I have found I raise the mids a smidge, and lower the treble. I do like that 'in your face' Ray tone, but the treble cut brings the fingerstyle tone to perfection.

I try to start with amp controls as neutral as practically possible, and bass controls similarly set.
With almost any amp, it's already very good.
Then I adjust as required.

I often add a bit more bass for some songs, and remove for others.. but this is on the John East preamp, so it may not work the same way in the original 3EQ. I may add a bit of treble too. Mids are variable... soemtimes I don't touch them at all... others I boost a fair bit... it really depends on the room and the rest of the band (3 guitarists!) how much and what freq I need to boost to help me cut through better.

My point is that I find that with the flat preamp (or bypassed entirely) it already sounds great, whilst I had to do more knob twiddling with other basses.

Can only agree and add a +1 etc. Never looked back since getting my '79 Stingray. Bass up on the preamp, treble on about half, amp flat, even with a little 2.5 Hartke cab, the sound is absolutely huge with no effort. I liken it to cruising in a yank car with a massive V8 engine. Plays beautifully, will I ever use another bass?