Why become a member? ×

Flatwound strings for Bronco

jimbaby

Hi
I would like to try a set of flats on my Bronco bass, the Status site offers hotwire strings for £17.99 delivered but which ones would I choose for length.
The confusion has been caused by my local shop who only stock long length flats and said they would be O. K. on my bass which is shortscale.
Regards
Jim

[quote name='jimbaby' post='995106' date='Oct 20 2010, 05:16 PM']Hi
I would like to try a set of flats on my Bronco bass, the Status site offers hotwire strings for £17.99 delivered but which ones would I choose for length.
The confusion has been caused by my local shop who only stock long length flats and said they would be O. K. on my bass which is shortscale.
Regards
Jim[/quote]
The chap in your local shop is lying to you - possibly out of ignorance. Maybe he's a guitarist rather than a bass player, so has no idea of the mechanics involved.

34" flats can unravel at the tuner if the wound part goes around the peg (which it will for the E & A strings and probably the D). The effect will be even worse with a small diameter tuner like those on a bronco. You want 30" flats. My favourite strings - TI short flats are 32" so are only good for a string-thru shortie such as a mustang, not a US musicmaster, bronco or danelectro. You want 30" flats. If you can't get your brand of choice, look at LaBellas - their short flats are available in different gauges and are very nice. I even got some which were made specifically to the ideal spec for my danelectro longhorn. Most shops that actually do have short scale flats will most likely have rotosound ones. I hate those - they're terrible.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

Hi
Thanks for the replies lads, much appreciated, by the way, the last strings I bought were D'addario xl flatwound chromes, now these were regular light gauge long scale (these were the ones the guy tried to sell me for the bronco as well, that's all they have), anyway I restrung a Squier p-bass with them, and while I love the sound, they are at a lot more tension than the strings they replaced, I would also like to avoid that.
Regards
Jim

Hi
Redstriper those rotosounds could be just the job, I have found that the Status strings are 32.75 inches, if I can be permitted to mix metric with imperial, and the price I quoted was wrong, they are £13.99 delivered, sorry if I caused any confusion.
Regards
Jim