Why become a member? ×

Can anyone identify this fretbaord wood for me?

umcoo

I made a parts bass last year of this guy's backup bass, but I finally found some of the pickups he uses (took me a couple of years, but I found them eventually) so was thinking of making a 'replica' of this bass...hence the fretboard question. I'm normally not that anal about things, but it would seem there is a lot of debate about the differences between rosewood and ebony as a fretboard wood.

I'm in two minds about the state of the bass...half of me thinks 'give it a clean', half of me thinks it's a true road warrior! If I were to make a replica of the bass, I probably wouldn't get it 'reliced', I'd just have it as new and let myself get some true wear into it.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, very much appreciated.

[quote name='Tait' post='997100' date='Oct 22 2010, 02:31 PM']Ebony I'd say. I can't see a grain at all on there, and rosewood normally has a more noticeable grain than ebony. Its also quite dark, although in terms of colour it could be rosewood. But the lack of real grain is my reasoning for saying ebony.[/quote]
+1 for all the reasons stated here, ebony varies from brown to black depending on how deep into the baulk it's taken from, & the seasoning & area too.

[quote name='Lorne' post='998254' date='Oct 23 2010, 05:10 PM']If that is Brazilian Rosewood, then they must've searched high and low for the shitiest piece they could find

I have basses with Brazilian Rosewood fretboards, and they are a reddish/brown colour with dark grain patterns on them[/quote]

It looks like they've worked hard to source all the shittiest parts possible!

What's it sound like?

I'm no expert but I've been led to believe that you get more top end off an ebony board than a rosewood board.

Shame really as I was seriously considering ebony on the neck of my proposed bitsa - for the look - but I want deep warm tone and am not sure if ebony will cut it.

Wil - thanks for posting that. Unfortunately, being the obsessive fan I am, they had a different bassist in for that session, and I believe it's a Precision used on that video. The bass in question is used on the album version of Pink Triangle, but not the single version.

Here's a video where you can hear the bass...excuse the artsy video :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBWRxp6l7Uo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBWRxp6l7Uo[/url]

Edited by umcoo

• 2 weeks later...