Why become a member? ×

considering using a marshall mode 4

0175westwood29

i did a quick search, but couldnt find anything!

the guitarist in my band has a mode 4 marshall half stack and on a song where looking to record soon, i have a part where i want some crazy distortion going on but also a clean bass track so im gonna split my signal and run in to a dif amp but rather than bass i was gonna try the mode 4? any danger in this? what can i do to limit damage?

im guessing not cranking the bass up to much? but is there anythiong else i can do?

andy

[quote name='Colledge' post='997674' date='Oct 23 2010, 12:43 AM']using a bass cab - no problem at all, fire away. with a guitar cab as you say, just be careful with the bass knob, the speakers won't be made to handle deep bass, but then again, using a bi-amp setup means you don't need the bass to come from the guitar rig.[/quote]

yeh thats what i figured, the mode 4 from what ive heard is a really bassy head a cab combo anyway.

would a crossover help im wandering? been thinking of getting one for my bi amp rig im making anyway? just send the mids and hi's to the guitar amp?

although i would still want to send all a true signal to my bass amp? although actually i can do that with my lehle switcher and have the b going of to the crossover!

should that work and protect the guitar amp and cab? surely if it can do really downtuned guitars it can take a standard tuning bass if its only getting mids and highs?

andy

When I was running my 12 string split between my bass amp and a Trace TVT9 combo, I turned the bass all the way down on the guitar combo just to be on the safe side.

I had so much distortion on it it I probably wouldn't have recognised speaker fart until it was too late otherwise

Edited by Delberthot

There are two mode 4 cabs, I know the 240w is loaded with Vintage 30s and is totally happy playing distroted guitary bass. Just make sure all your lows are provided by the appropriate rig. Fairly sure the newer 400w mode 4 cab is also happy, the distortion to get with the Mode4 will compress everyhting enough to keep it safe. However, the Mode 4s do get a bit breaky sometimes, overheating problems, there were a few at local practice space, but they all died, so watch out for that.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='997996' date='Oct 23 2010, 01:23 PM']There are two mode 4 cabs, I know the 240w is loaded with Vintage 30s and is totally happy playing distroted guitary bass. Just make sure all your lows are provided by the appropriate rig. Fairly sure the newer 400w mode 4 cab is also happy, the distortion to get with the Mode4 will compress everyhting enough to keep it safe. However, the Mode 4s do get a bit breaky sometimes, overheating problems, there were a few at local practice space, but they all died, so watch out for that.[/quote]

yeh our guitarist had his output transformer blow up! but other than that i love the sound he gets, if it were an ideal world i'd go buy myself a boogie dual rect! but can't really afford 1700 on a head!

andy