Why become a member? ×

my bongo bass

greyparrot

i have been through a few basses but i have to say i have never had such a great all round bass. If you are looking for a high end bass, i would give these a good look. I think they look stunning, and they are made superb, with great balance and super neck. My one still needs a set up for me, but as it is it plays great.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG3mlHAEevY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG3mlHAEevY[/url]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1001898' date='Oct 26 2010, 11:41 PM']Thanks, I've been looking into one of these.

Which model do you have?[/quote]

Hi i have the hh 4 string, you can see it on the vid. Its funny but i never liked the stingray sound, but this is like a P bass a jazz and stingray in 1. I dont quite know what the single pickup would be like, but the hh is very adaptable to any sound. The only thing i will say is that they are very responsive, so u have to have you technique in good order to keep it clean sounding. The lightest touch give you sound. I have always been pretty hot on damping the strings while playing, but i would say this is not a very forgiving bass. The neck is not skinny like a jazz, i like that, i cant do skinny necks (both female human n bass) and it is very fast. The tone unplugged is a little like a graphite neck (i dont like the tone unplugged) but plug it in and wow. I also an a 5/6 string player, and was not sure about a 4, but it seems strange in that it can give you the same depth of note in the low register so i dont really miss 5. The fit and finish are of the best i have seen and the spray job looks very BMW. I have a BM so can relate to the bass desighn. If you look at the new 3 series you can see glimses of it in this bass. (BMW desighned the bass) Comes with a nice hard case.

we have vol/mix/mid/mid sweep/bass/treble. I just keep it all on flat. It also has an 18v preamp. Its quite a beast of a bass i must say. Anything you wish to know please ask,

Rich.

Thanks Rich, sounds great! I am eyeing up ordering a Bongo 5 HH..and the more I hear the more I edge towards the order.

I know what you mean about the responsiveness. A light touch gives huge sound with my new Ray 5 HS, so I can imagine what the Bongo is like!

Im glad it is not a skinny Jazz type neck. Part of my reasons for not bonding with Jazz basses is that my hands cramp a little at the nut...I feel I dont have the room I want to play with. I imagine I could get around this and get used to it, but Precision necks always fit straight away, as do Stingray necks.

I like the comments about the fit and finish. I think they make an excellent bass at EBMM, especially for the price point.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1002059' date='Oct 27 2010, 09:20 AM']Thanks Rich, sounds great! I am eyeing up ordering a Bongo 5 HH..and the more I hear the more I edge towards the order.

I know what you mean about the responsiveness. A light touch gives huge sound with my new Ray 5 HS, so I can imagine what the Bongo is like!

Im glad it is not a skinny Jazz type neck. Part of my reasons for not bonding with Jazz basses is that my hands cramp a little at the nut...I feel I dont have the room I want to play with. I imagine I could get around this and get used to it, but Precision necks always fit straight away, as do Stingray necks.

I like the comments about the fit and finish. I think they make an excellent bass at EBMM, especially for the price point.[/quote]

yes thats true i have the same problem with skinny necks, thats why i like 5 and 6 strings,but imquite happy with this neck. In time i may upgrade to a 5 or 6 string version, but at the moment im reallyenjoying this bass.Still deciding on string gauge. I have lights on but i prefer a little heavyer strings maybe 40-45-100. s

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1002018' date='Oct 27 2010, 09:41 AM']we have vol/mix/mid/mid sweep/bass/treble. I just keep it all on flat. It also has an 18v preamp. Its quite a beast of a bass i must say. Anything you wish to know please ask,[/quote]

... errm ... doesn't the Bongo have lo-mid/hi-mid, and not mid/mid sweep controls? At least mine does ...

br, Matthias

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1002813' date='Oct 27 2010, 06:20 PM']Just out of interest how did you record the video n audio?[/quote]

good question

The kodak zi8 hd camcorder is the only one that has a mic input. I searched for ages for a camcorder with a mic input as its the only possible way to get decent audio on a video without having to sync up vid/audio. So i have a small soundcraft mixer into which i di the bass and the cd/mp3 player hit the record button on the kodak and thats it. Iv done 4 with it now, and really pleased. I did a gig the other day but fooked up as i had only the vocals come through, but even in low light it gives great results. All for £90. But i think its discontined but amazon are still doing them. No other camera has a mic input. The flip is not a patch on the kodak zi8. I also did the suspitious minds vid on it too on you tube. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZNHUqNw56g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZNHUqNw56g[/url] If you watch it just plugged into a tv with the supplied HDMI lead the quality is amazing far better than when loaded onto you tube.

Rich.

ps for monitoring i just use the headphones from the desk so no external sound.

Edited by greyparrot

the only thing im really suprised at these basses is the resale value.

At the same retail as a Ric 4001, I dont understand why these basses dont hold any value, even though they have an amazing finish and very advanced electrics. The Ric will still demand over a grand s/h!!!!!!!!!!!!

I for one am still exploring all my tones that these basses have on offer and look forward to each rehearsal because its like using a new bass each time.

The 18v circuit is a monster and the HS pup config has everything I need.

I love these basses to bits and im sure it wont be long before everyone jumps at them

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1003091' date='Oct 27 2010, 10:14 PM']the only thing im really suprised at these basses is the resale value.

At the same retail as a Ric 4001, I dont understand why these basses dont hold any value, even though they have an amazing finish and very advanced electrics. The Ric will still demand over a grand s/h!!!!!!!!!!!!

I for one am still exploring all my tones that these basses have on offer and look forward to each rehearsal because its like using a new bass each time.

The 18v circuit is a monster and the HS pup config has everything I need.

I love these basses to bits and im sure it wont be long before everyone jumps at them[/quote]

personally i think these basses have had a bad start in life, but i think they are becoming more and more accepted in the bass comunity now for the tone beast that they are. I think also more players are using them now and that will creat more interest. Look at the wal bass 15 years ago bass centre could not shift them at £700 now look.

[quote name='greyparrot' post='1003323' date='Oct 28 2010, 08:28 AM']personally i think these basses have had a bad start in life, but i think they are becoming more and more accepted in the bass comunity now for the tone beast that they are. I think also more players are using them now and that will creat more interest. Look at the wal bass 15 years ago bass centre could not shift them at £700 now look.[/quote]

Yeah Wal's got hit with the whole 80's stigma backlash... Bongo's just got hit with the ugly stick! j/k

I actually really like the look of them, but then my wife tells me I have weird taste (don't think she gets the irony in that!)...

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1003625' date='Oct 28 2010, 12:37 PM']Yeah Wal's got hit with the whole 80's stigma backlash... Bongo's just got hit with the ugly stick! j/k

I actually really like the look of them, but then my wife tells me I have weird taste (don't think she gets the irony in that!)...[/quote]

ha ha Bongos are beutiful! she sings! Ella Fitzgerraled was not the nicest looker of the bunch, but has a voice to die for........like my bongo. ;-)

I just sold mine to a very happy german bloke who is now as happy as... [i][b]Otto[/b][/i] :) (They don't have Larry in Deutscheland I don't think)

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/47151-premature-x-mas-bongo-5-hhp.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...ongo-5-hhp.html[/url]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1003667' date='Oct 28 2010, 01:07 PM']I just sold mine to a very happy german bloke who is now as happy as... [i][b]Otto[/b][/i] :lol: (They don't have Larry in Deutscheland I don't think)

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/47151-premature-x-mas-bongo-5-hhp.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...ongo-5-hhp.html[/url][/quote]

I think hes a happy chap! :)