Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder Jet

Paul S

Moving on my Westone Thunder Jet bass.

Made by Matsumoku in Japan in 1984, it is slightly less commonly seen than many of the Thunder series such as the 1A. Satin black finish, satin black hardware - pretty cool looking thing. Passive split coil pup, volume and control knobs - nothing complicated. Neck is superb - a lengthy 34" 22 fret, rosewood. Nice and straight and probably the best thing about it. Loads of life in the frets.

Info about them on here [url="http://www.westone.info/thunderjetbass.html"]Westone Info website[/url] where, if you follow the links, there are scans of the original catalogue entries and also some contemporary mag reviews.

It is in reasonable nick - a few dings here and there but nothing major. It is a good honest used bass, punches considerably higher than it's cost would suggest - these 80s Westones are built like tanks - Matsumoku rules! Had I been keeping it I was going to stick some hotter pups in it and maybe a high mass bridge. As it stands it is a good back up bass or starter. Add the better pups and bridge and you have a good working tool.

I have a Thunder 1A and am slowly moving to active basses - no point keeping both - so this one is going.

I paid £72 for it a few months back on eBay, spent a bit getting it set up. I replaced the control knobs with generic knurled (but sufficiently black) ones as there was only one original on it (can see this on the pics) and they are impossible to find. I also changed the bridge saddle adjusting screws to smaller ones that don't poke out the top and catch on my hand. Currently strung with D'Addario Chrome flats - can easily stick on some decent rounds if these are are going in the bin as they were expensive.

Looking for £75, £15 to post. Can meet/deliver a reasonable distance for the cost of diesel or, of course, collection from southeast Essex.

Edited by Paul S