Why become a member? ×

Hi Everyone, from W8GLguitarGARY in Michigan, USA

W8GLguitarGARY

My name is Gary, and I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA. I have been playing electric bass guitar left handed, with the strings reversed from conventional right hand stringing, since 1966 (44 years). I own 4 basses-- in order of acquisition-- a 1967 Hofner 500/1LH "Beatle Bass," a 1973 Rickenbacker, model 4001L, MapleGlo. Both of these basses are like the ones Paul McCartney played. Next, I have a 1970 Ampeg Dan Armstrong fretted clear acrylic body bass. Lastly, I own a late model lefty Fender Jazz Bass antique sunburst 4-string MIM. in a right hand hard shell case. I have the original Hofner hard shell case, but the original Rick case that opened left handed (that is, with the bass' body on the left side as the case is opened, as opposed to the body facing toward the right) unfortunately got burned in a fire at the music studio at which, I taught private lessons. I would like to someday replace the current Gibson case it is in, with a left hand opening case for my Rick, but I have been told that they are very rare and in short supply. The original Rick case that came with my bass had a black exterior and a medium blue colored plush felt lining interior. I would settle for one of the new silver cases, if I could find one that was left hand opening. My Dan Armstrong did not come with a case, and I would like to find a proper original vintage Dan Armstrong case that would fit my bass. I don't really know, what I would be looking for, as I have never seen an original Dan Armstrong case. The Dan Armstrong I have is a right hand model that has been modified for left handed playing. I did the modifications myself, including frabricating and installing a lefty notched brass nut, drilling and installing an additional strap-lock holder on the opposite body bout. I have the action set higher for that bass, and use it for mostly slapping and popping style bass playing. The MIM Fender is pretty new to me. I bought it third hand, but it is in very fine condition, still. I haven't used it much, yet. I have the strings removed from the bass, and will do a thorough lemon oil cleaning, followed by a carnuba wax buffing. I will then cook the strings in boiling water for about 20 minutes, dry them quickly, with a hair dryer, so they don't oxidize, and replace them on the Fender. I will give you a review of how well the bass plays in successive posts. Does anyone out ther is cyberbasespace know where I could find a reasonably priced, used lefty Rickenbacker case or a Dan Armstrong bass hard shell case? Thanks for reading this, Gary in Grand Rapids, MI.