Why become a member? ×

Removing a poly finish from a neck but retaining the decal?

Soloshchenko

Hi, at the minute I'm stripping down and re finishing a rather nice 70s Columbus Jazz bass (pics in build diaries if you're interested) and am a bit stumped on what to do with the neck. I'm going for a nitro finish on the body and neck.

I've removed the body's Poly finish and am just about to start on the neck and while orginally I was going do a custom decal I'm now swaying towards retaining the original. My question is, how would I do this without it looking sh*t? I'm removing the neck poly with sand paper, should I just leave the top face of the headstock with the poly on? Or would it work to sand off all of the poly finish apart from just on and around the decal?

If it's too much of a pain in the arse I'llgo down the custom decal route as I have a nice idea but just wondering if retaining the Columbus decal is feasible.

Cheers in advance for any tips.

I have a similar situation with my Wunkay. I was thinking about repairing the nasty chip in the headstock which it came to me bearing. It would obviously need the front finish and decal removing in order to make the repair as invisible as possible. You can't buy replacement decals so I decided to make my own one in photoshop. Being the OCD perfectionist I am it took me 2 whole days to get it exactly right. I've found a guy who will print it for me including the gold so it's good to go.... I now just have to decide if it's worth removing the original finish on this uber rare beast or keeping it "roadworn". :)

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1004710' date='Oct 29 2010, 07:59 AM']I'd definitely opt for 'Roadworn' if you value it, to refinish it and put your own very good copy of the decal on would make it open to speculation about originality. It's only a little chip and it adds character.[/quote]
That's pretty much my gut feeling on this too but the guys over on the G&L forum (who it has to be said are not really up on the vintage models) said I should go for the refin. It is definitely a future classic but there are more pristine examples out there. Mine is one of the very first G&L basses ever made and therefore may have a physical connection to Leo (and George :)) all of which adds to the dilemma.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1004603' date='Oct 29 2010, 12:20 AM']I'd leave the whole face, it's the only way of doing it without it being obvious that you've sanded round it.[/quote]

I'm heading that way but could do to see an example where someone has done so as I'm a bit worried about colouring differences which are noticable.

Ou7shined, I think you've spent so long on the decal it's probably worth going the extra yard and re doing your decal. Your design looks totally spot on.

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1004858' date='Oct 29 2010, 10:14 AM']I'm heading that way but could do to see an example where someone has done so as I'm a bit worried about colouring differences which are noticable.[/quote]

Not sure as it's not my area, but I think some classic basses have a different finish on the headstock face to the rest, so they end up coloured differently anyway. You won't be able to avoid a colour difference at some point, the only thing you can mess with is timing, as it will change as it ages.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1004622' date='Oct 29 2010, 12:42 AM']I have a similar situation with my Wunkay. I was thinking about repairing the nasty chip in the headstock which it came to me bearing. It would obviously need the front finish and decal removing in order to make the repair as invisible as possible. You can't buy replacement decals so I decided to make my own one in photoshop. Being the OCD perfectionist I am it took me 2 whole days to get it exactly right. I've found a guy who will print it for me including the gold so it's good to go.... I now just have to decide if it's worth removing the original finish on this uber rare beast or keeping it "roadworn". :)

[/quote]

Awwwwww - personally, as long as it's not affecting the sound or the way it plays, I'd keep all those bangs and dings that it's received over the years.

Edited by lanark