Why become a member? ×

Bass sale nightmare

lozbass

Just sold a Spector NS5-XL (you know the one, redwood burl) It turns up with its new owner with a hum on the (u-retro) mid pot and a mid stack knob that's out of true. I honestly didn't see this before selling and the bass didn't have a hum. Previous owners don't appear to have noticed either issue. Whilst the buyer has been an absolute gentleman (even offering to pay half towards any fix - declined of course), it's left a very bad taste indeed. I've got to cough up for repairs (at unknown cost) and have the hassle of trying to sort a repair at distance.

No more shipping basses for me!

I'm thinking of knocking it all on the head and going back to the basses I had when I played for cash twenty years ago. Could be some tasty basses up soon (but you'll have to collect, pay in cash and sign in blood to say the bass is perfect!)

I'm sure I'm not the first but the hassle when something goes wrong is not good at all

[quote name='Clarky' post='1007049' date='Oct 31 2010, 10:02 AM']Hey Loz that's a bummer. But don't sell your pride and joys due to one bad shipping experience! All the best, Clarky[/quote]
Hi Clarky, thanks very much for this but been considering it anyway - the bass gluttony has left me feeling a bit hollow!

Sorry to hear about your trouble with posting the Spector. I had the same problem with a Fender P bass that I sent by courier, it has was damaged in transit and the courier tried to say I posted that way????
It took 6 months of me being out of pocket because I refunded the buyer. Even if you do have insurance on the bass it could take 6 months to settle a claim.

I learnt my lesson........no more posting basses out.

Did you have insurance ???

If so, put in a claim ASAP.

Edited by voxpop

[quote name='lozbass' post='1007044' date='Oct 31 2010, 09:57 AM']Just sold a Spector NS5-XL (you know the one, redwood burl) It turns up with its new owner with a hum on the (u-retro) mid pot and a mid stack knob that's out of true. I honestly didn't see this before selling and the bass didn't have a hum. Previous owners don't appear to have noticed either issue. Whilst the buyer has been an absolute gentleman (even offering to pay half towards any fix - declined of course), it's left a very bad taste indeed. I've got to cough up for repairs (at unknown cost) and have the hassle of trying to sort a repair at distance.

No more shipping basses for me!

I'm thinking of knocking it all on the head and going back to the basses I had when I played for cash twenty years ago. Could be some tasty basses up soon (but you'll have to collect, pay in cash and sign in blood to say the bass is perfect!)

I'm sure I'm not the first but the hassle when something goes wrong is not good at all[/quote]

I had the same problem with an amp head I sold. It was working perfectly when I posted it, I ended up paying £70 to a repair shop to have it fixed. Not impressed and will never post anything electronic again unless feedback is left first. (not that I sell a lot on Ebay now anyway)

Edited by PURPOLARIS

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1007064' date='Oct 31 2010, 10:12 AM']Was it sold on here or eBay?

Is there/was there damage to the packaging to indicate the bass may have taken a bash?

Did the recipient sign for the delivery as being checked or unseen?

No matter the answers to the above it's always an absolute bumm3r when stuff like this happens![/quote]
Thanks for this - all highly salient issues! I don't have all the information now but I'll be checking later. The bass was sold on here and I should emphasise that the buyer couldn't have been more helpful or gracious. I doubt that I'm in it for more than a ton (ton fifty tops) but what a load of grief

[quote name='Sibob' post='1007093' date='Oct 31 2010, 10:32 AM']£100 for some electrics work and a pot??
Jeez, what luthier are you going to? lol

Si[/quote]
Haha - assuming the worst here - more than simple damage to the pot - possible replacement of further components