Why become a member? ×

RH450 or F1?

SisterAbdullahX

Hi y'all,
I'll be buying a new amp in the next month or so. My trusty Hartke is ready to be put out to pasture. I need something that's small and light, powerful and sounds great. Narrowed choices down to TC RH450 and Markbass F1. Looking for advice on which is the best sounding of the two, bearing in mind the F1 is 300 quid less than the RH. Cheers.

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='1010377' date='Nov 3 2010, 09:05 AM']Hi y'all,
I'll be buying a new amp in the next month or so. My trusty Hartke is ready to be put out to pasture. I need something that's small and light, powerful and sounds great. Narrowed choices down to TC RH450 and Markbass F1. Looking for advice on which is the best sounding of the two, bearing in mind the F1 is 300 quid less than the RH. Cheers.[/quote]

The F1 is tight, fairly bright, and very punchy. Super light, small and 'set it flat and forget it' type of amp. Nice and loud.

The RH450 is very 'classy'. Well built (well, the F1 is, but the RH450 oozes quality) slightly heavier but still sub 8 lbs ish, so still very light in reality. Lot and lots of tone options, inbuilt tuner that actually works, great tubetone (especially at about 1/3) and gives you a somewhat more 'traditional' tone compared to the F1. It doesnt do extremely bright slap tones (and I mean only the extremely trebly sheen type tone) but everything else, including a more rounded slap tone, excellent figerstyle tone, and killer pick tone. Rock-pop-funk, all with a semi para-eq. It is VERY loud, (probably louder than the F1 as it just keeps on pushing!) and id say the tone is punchy, warm, articulate and a little more 'tradtional'.

Hope this helps. Both VERY nice, if I were you, and you went Markbass, get the F500! But, if I had to choose, id go for the RH450.

I myself am still tempted by the F500....but I know I shouldnt be as the LM3 virtually covers everything it can do, but a little 'warmer'.

Bit of a general comment, this, but... the Ibanez Promethean head is worth a look. I've been gigging it alongside my RH450 and it's quite hard to choose between them. It's inherently warm.

Of course the RH450 has more bells and whistles.

Edited by wateroftyne

Hi guys, I have the pleasure of owning both at the moment and agree with Musicman20's description. I've posted a few thoughts on the forum about the two as well, but the above sums up well. Out of the two I have a preference for the F1 because I do all that fluffy tapping and percussive stuff with loads of effects on so find that the additional clarity of the F1 and new twangy strings are more my bag.

My RH450 is currently up for sale in the For Sale department.