Why become a member? ×

Musicman Stingray (1996)

farmer61

Thinking of trimming down the old bass collection.

I have 2 likely candidates, A maple glow Ricky and a MM Stingray IV - Natural Velvet finish - 05 Mar 1996.

I'm pretty sure on the worth of the Ricky, but the Stingray??

I don't have the original case or candy but do have a 'fender' style tweed case that I bought it in. Great nick, needs new strings although plays really well.....so, any views on it's value, if the s/h market in these is not great I'll hold on to it!!

Cheers

Tricky one this, the market on Rays is a bit moribund at the moment (check my recent FS thread on a 30th Anni Ray). If great nick with original case then +£700 but maybe a little less for a quick sale - and unless in an equivalent Hiscox HSC knock a bit more off. If it's got some nice figuring in the neck maybe £50+ more.

Also depends where you're selling it, I scored a near mint 1998 Ray5 for £725 with original HSC off the bay a few weeks back.

I'd be inclined to hold off until after the silly season if you can afford it.

Edited by martthebass

I paid in total £660 for my '95 stingray 4. Off the bay from the US including shipping and duties.

However the case it came in isn't the original the pickup had been replaced, with the alnico SD replacement, as it died some how, it case with a hipshot D-tuner, and it has some paint cracks around the edge.
However it's got Birdseye maple neck, so I had to have it.

Despite everything I still recon that's cheap for one.

When I bought my original Ray back in 1999 ish, the shop discussed all the options with me, etc.

They mentioned (and I think this is reinforced on the EBMM forum) that the reason Stingrays are fairly highly priced is down to: QC, high quality build/paint, and the electronics. You cant buy their pickups and elecs, but if you could they would be expensive.

The Market is poor for anything at the moment. I'd keep it.

When I bought my original Ray back in 1999 ish, the shop discussed all the options with me, etc.

They mentioned (and I think this is reinforced on the EBMM forum) that the reason Stingrays are fairly highly priced is down to: QC, high quality build/paint, and the electronics. You cant buy their pickups and elecs, but if you could they would be expensive.

The Market is poor for anything at the moment. I'd keep it.