Why become a member? ×

Janek Gwizdala

Pete Academy

[quote name='Doddy' post='1011901' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:10 PM']No he doesn't. He's just been touring as MD for VV Brown for over a year,and doesn't solo at all in that gig. Also,his first solo album only had one or two bass solos on it.[/quote]
Like I said, the guy needs to make money. He's not making much from his own albums where he CAN solo.

[quote name='Mike' post='1011927' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:24 PM']Well, we pay for his music so it's not altruistic. He doesn't get paid for the podcasts. And it's not reaching out to the common man to promote himself - it's probably only downloaded by bassists and jazzers, who have possibly already bought his music.[/quote]
At this point I will give up trying to convince you that it's a marketing and publicity tool ASWELL.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1011928' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:25 PM']I always think it's best to reserve one's own view of someone like Janek and his music for a time when you can be sure that you're observations are accurate, mostly because it's so easy to be wrong on the web.
I think his achievements are utterly admirable and I'm genuinely pleased for the guy that the very apparent, incredibly hard work he has put in is bringing him success and happiness.
I'm sure that he's a nice guy having had a few conversations with him and being a facebook friend, as well as having tons of colleagues in common.[/quote]

Can I still slag off Alain Caron?

:)

[quote name='silddx' post='1011949' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:37 PM']At this point I will give up trying to convince you that it's a marketing and publicity tool ASWELL.[/quote]

I suppose, to a small degree. It being so specific and niche though, would render it not that effective. Don't think the dragons would be interested!

Dave Marks, for example, has a wider range of teaching material including lots of beginner/amateur stuff which is really fantastic. I bet he has more people tuned into that than Janek.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1012085' date='Nov 4 2010, 02:21 PM']I've got to be honest, I'd never heard of him before I joined basschat. Does that make me a bad person?[/quote]

Of course not! I completely agree that he's not a househould name.

Actually, if I had to be famous, I'd like to be famous like this - just to people "in the know" or people in my field (e.g. contemporary jazz)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1012085' date='Nov 4 2010, 02:21 PM']I've got to be honest, I'd never heard of him before I joined basschat. Does that make me a bad person?[/quote]

+1

I don't have a problem with the guy at all (I really don't know anything about him) but looking over that thread with BBC I don't think there's anything wrong with what people were saying about his article, and maybe he could've handled the situation better. Ah well, water under the bridge.

[quote name='silddx' post='1012055' date='Nov 4 2010, 01:52 PM']Can I still slag off Alain Caron?

:lol:[/quote]
You can slag off whomsoever you choose Nige just remember that the range of responses from those that know and love you will range from :D to :) often via :) and ultimately people will think you're :lol: or :P

Now I've run out of smileys I will have to explain that it's all said in the warmest of spirit mate.

(now there's novel... using WORDS to convey ideas hmmm!!!)

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='Mike' post='1012098' date='Nov 4 2010, 02:30 PM']Of course not! I completely agree that he's not a househould name.

Actually, if I had to be famous, I'd like to be famous like this - just to people "in the know" or people in my field (e.g. contemporary jazz)[/quote]

Sorry, my post was slightly tongue in cheek :).

Although seriously, many of the 'names' in the bass world mentioned on here I'd not heard of before joining - even Jaco, Miller, Clarke, Wooten and so on....
As far as Janick is concerned I think I'll go with what Jakebass posted (minus the bit about him being a Facebook friend and chatting to him online :))
And people keep referring to an article that I never read so I can't comment :lol:

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1012107' date='Nov 4 2010, 02:36 PM']You can slag off whomsoever you choose Nige just remember that the range of responses from those that know and love you will range from :D to :) often via :) and ultimately people will think you're :lol: or :lol:

Now I've run out of smileys I will have to explain that it's all said in the warmest of spirit mate.

(now there's novel... using WORDS to convey ideas hmmm!!!)[/quote]
You're so nice, Jake :P

I'm only using dear Alain as a illustrative figure really, he is a totem.

It is funny that until they become a Basschat member, most of us feel free to slag off anyone :lol: Then suddenly, we become a bit more respectful. Unless they are "Famous"! which often leads to either suspicion or over-reverence, and very rarely, downright rudeness in BBC's case.

We are a miserable nation. We like to make people famous so we have something good to moan about, be rude about, and be envious of.

Likewise I'd never heard of him until I started posting on sites like this. He replied to something I had to say, actually seemed like a nice chap although I did notice he was involved with a few other members who weren't exactly mincing their words and I think he was getting pretty pissed off by this. Whether this was the right reaction for him has probably been talked about a million times over now I'm guessing. His playing doesn't do it for me, I don't enjoy the music he's involved with, but clearly he's a talented player... just not for me.

[quote name='silddx' post='1012127' date='Nov 4 2010, 02:49 PM']We are a miserable nation.[/quote]

You speak for yourself :) :)

I'm the happiest person I know............what a minute. No that's wrong. I'm the grumpiest person I know. Ignore that back as you were.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1012138' date='Nov 4 2010, 02:57 PM']You speak for yourself :P :lol:

I'm the happiest person I know............what a minute. No that's wrong. I'm the grumpiest person I know. Ignore that back as you were.[/quote]
:)

I seem to have turned into a right miserable f***er lately. I can't think of any music-related threads I've contributed to recently where I've had anything nice to say, apart fom my build diary :) I must be in a fighting mood at the moment, verbally of course, I hate real fighting :D

[quote name='silddx' post='1012145' date='Nov 4 2010, 03:04 PM']:)

I seem to have turned into a right miserable f***er lately. I can't think of any music-related threads I've contributed to recently where I've had anything nice to say, apart fom my build diary :) I must be in a fighting mood at the moment, verbally of course, I hate real fighting :lol:[/quote]

Perhaps you're going through 'the change' :P. Men do you know, we're just not allowed to talk about it :D. Do you find yourself asking for the heating to be turned down? :lol:

[quote name='Marvin' post='1012149' date='Nov 4 2010, 03:09 PM']Perhaps you're going through 'the change' :lol:. Men do you know, we're just not allowed to talk about it :). Do you find yourself asking for the heating to be turned down? :D[/quote]
Yes! I do!

I even had a hot flush about an hour ago, I think that was the mention of Alain Caron though :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1012152' date='Nov 4 2010, 03:10 PM']Yes! I do!

I even had a hot flush about an hour ago, I think that was the mention of Alain Caron though :)[/quote]

Find somewhere draughty to sit.

That's enough of hijacking this thread, I'm off to do the ironing - men's work and all that :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1012127' date='Nov 4 2010, 02:49 PM']You're so nice, Jake :)

I'm only using dear Alain as a illustrative figure really, he is a totem.

It is funny that until they become a Basschat member, most of us feel free to slag off anyone :) Then suddenly, we become a bit more respectful. Unless they are "Famous"! which often leads to either suspicion or over-reverence, and very rarely, downright rudeness in BBC's case.

We are a miserable nation. We like to make people famous so we have something good to moan about, be rude about, and be envious of.[/quote]

I think musicians who have worked their way up through the industry to require a bit of respect, personally. And shouldn't be taken to task for silly little issues!

I agree - we are as a whole a miserable nation - I hate it!

I think it's good to be cynical but not overally miserable!

Well we were there and I like him! I didnt know tauzero was there (red basschat T-shirt?) Great night and there was a few tasty players in the audience to my knowledge (Oh sorry I forgot they are regarded as crap if no one has heard of you round here and some of tham cant read dots so they arent even serious players :) ) and they were pleased with his playing and persona so what more can you say. We met him some of you didnt ,Im not going to start digging up old threads that until I read this post I didnt even know about, I will judge on what I know personally instead.

For what it's worth, I'm after really tiring day, and, before going to take a cigarette a few mins ago, I thought I would just go to bed after that (no practice today), but, while smoking, I put my Mp3 player on, and listened to Janek for about three minutes..

And I think, I've been 'loaded' with energy for a few hours of shedding, with the help of his music.
Oh, and I'll be doing that infamous Hanon technical exercise, that he has been slagged off for.. :)
I'll just go and shed now.

Janek is da man.

Edited by Faithless

So,I've had another lesson with Janek today,and all I can say is that he keeps getting better..I've come away with another
six months worth of things to study.
And.... I had the pleasure of Jamming with him on stage at the gig/clinic tonight :)

Top bloke.