Why become a member? ×

P bass pickguard andpups

gary mac

I'm trying to crack on with my p bass project and keep getting thwarted.

I've now got a gold anodized pick guard and some pups, both purchased on the forum.

Having some problems with the fitting, it would seem that the guard is going to need some filing to allow the pup to be fitted.
I imagined that everything would be standardised really. What I mean is all p bass pups would fit all p bass pickguards. Having said that the pups I've got are not Fender but I believe the guard is.
A previous owner has done some filing of the guard, which will also need some tidying up.

So do I start filing or get proper fender pups? Or a new pickguard? Thoroughly confused and fed up now.

Each of the pups that I have got are 55 mm long x 28 mm wide, excluding the half round bit with screw holes.

Hopefully I've explained myself well enough for someone to offer some advice, before I bin it all and give up.

Thanks, Gary

Oddly I had the exact same problem today, got some unbranded P pickups and they're a little too big, particularly the lugs where the screws go.

I think the Fender vintage pickups may be slightly smaller than the newer / non Fender ones, if you can get your pickups out of their covers you might be able to fit standard Fender covers instead - maybe! The covers are quite cheap on ebay but might cause more frustration if the pickups won't go in or the pole piece holes don't match.

Also old scratchplates shrink apparently, mine no longer fits even though it's the original that came with the bass 20 years ago but hasn't been fitted in all that time. Half the holes don't line up, these jobs are never as simple as they should be.

I gave up on the new pickups and ordered some Fender vintage ones, hopefully that'll solve the problem.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='gary mac' post='1012310' date='Nov 4 2010, 05:14 PM']So do I start filing or get proper fender pups? Or a new pickguard? Thoroughly confused and fed up now....[/quote]
It's very much down to yourself. But remember you might want to sell the parts on again one day. I think the main thing to do just now would be to get the bass up and running, if you like the pups then and want to keep them then obviously you then make the p/g fit the pups.

Oh and an anodised p/g is every bit as easy to file as a plastic one.... should you go down that route.

I ran in to the reverse last weekend.
I tried to put a Wizard (standard Fender fit) in to my Squier CV P and found the pup was too large. I must admit im not one to do thing properly so i got the files out and just kept going until it did fit. The whole time the pup was screwed in and the PG was still attached to some wires.
I got here in the end though. it looks a bit rough close up but its not too bad.

As i plan on getting a better PG i wasnt too worried about it getting damaged but i think it looks fine.

Edited by dave_bass5