Why become a member? ×

Fender Aerodyne Precision

razze06

So i've owned this fender aerodyne precision for a few years now, it's beatifully finished, nice action, good neck, well balanced and weigh just the right amount.

However nice it is, I often leave it on the guitar rack and pick up something else for both practices and gigs. Moreover, when I do use for practices or gigs, I find myself disappointed with the tone.

I am particularly annoyed by the fact that the signal from the soloed p pickup is much stronger than the signal from the soloed j pickup, effectively denying me the option of switching to a jazz-y sound whitout changing bass. Also, the tone of the p pickup is a little off to my ears, and tend to get lost in the lower notes.

So, instead of selling it and buying another bass, I was wondering if you could suggest some simple mod I could do to it to improve the tone. I'm not into active basses at all, so I was thinking about a pickup replacement and/or a different circuitry arrangement.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

[quote name='razze06' post='1013072' date='Nov 5 2010, 10:44 AM']So i've owned this fender aerodyne precision for a few years now, it's beatifully finished, nice action, good neck, well balanced and weigh just the right amount.

However nice it is, I often leave it on the guitar rack and pick up something else for both practices and gigs. Moreover, when I do use for practices or gigs, I find myself disappointed with the tone.

I am particularly annoyed by the fact that the signal from the soloed p pickup is much stronger than the signal from the soloed j pickup, effectively denying me the option of switching to a jazz-y sound whitout changing bass. Also, the tone of the p pickup is a little off to my ears, and tend to get lost in the lower notes.

So, instead of selling it and buying another bass, I was wondering if you could suggest some simple mod I could do to it to improve the tone. I'm not into active basses at all, so I was thinking about a pickup replacement and/or a different circuitry arrangement.

Suggestions? Recommendations?[/quote]

I'd get the PUP's looked at, I find both of PUPS at about the same level..

I had one of these, and wanted a bit more out of it too. Duff McKagan also uses one, and liking his tone, I replaced the J pickup with the Seymour Duncan he uses - think it was the STK-J2 the Hot Stack. Made a great deal of difference with both pickups on together. Obviously if you want to use the P pickup soloed, that too may need changing, but bear in mind that the Aerodyne is made of basswood (well mine was), which whilst good on low mids, doesn`t seem to have quite the same depth on the bottom end as alder/ash. This may be why it doesn`t seem to have the same effect on the lower notes.

[quote name='paul h' post='1013094' date='Nov 5 2010, 11:13 AM']I am pretty sure that the stock pickups are ceramic so my suggestion is to swap them out for a matched set of alnico pickups.

Or in terms of output it might be as simple as lowering the p pickup and raising the j.[/quote]

I have tried lowering the p and raising the j, to underwhelming results. You can clearly hear the difference in volume as you cut off the j pup. I seem to recall reading that this is so "by design". Maybe i was just badly informed...

[quote name='razze06' post='1013217' date='Nov 5 2010, 12:51 PM']I have tried lowering the p and raising the j, to underwhelming results. You can clearly hear the difference in volume as you cut off the j pup. I seem to recall reading that this is so "by design". Maybe i was just badly informed...[/quote]

I had one and the pickups were balanced perfectly well. Maybe it is a fault?

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1013202' date='Nov 5 2010, 12:43 PM']I had one of these, and wanted a bit more out of it too. Duff McKagan also uses one, and liking his tone, I replaced the J pickup with the Seymour Duncan he uses - think it was the STK-J2 the Hot Stack. Made a great deal of difference with both pickups on together. Obviously if you want to use the P pickup soloed, that too may need changing, but bear in mind that the Aerodyne is made of basswood (well mine was), which whilst good on low mids, doesn`t seem to have quite the same depth on the bottom end as alder/ash. This may be why it doesn`t seem to have the same effect on the lower notes.[/quote]

Good pointers, cheers