Why become a member? ×

7 String basses

Dread Bass

I thought i would start this thread for people who own or have played 7 string basses to discuss pros vs cons etc.

I am currently planning a new bass with a builder and it is looking more likely i am going to go with a 7 string with a low f Sharp .

WHY? i hear 90% of basschat scream? Well my main band is a tech metal band and my guitarists are planning to buy 8 string guitars in the not too distant future. I already play a 6 string and use the full range of the bass so i dont wanna loose the high C string. Now i hear you all shout "just play the higher bits higher on the neck. Granted this would work for some sections but not all and i dont like the way some parts sound further up the neck opposed to in the first 5 frets say.

What i wanted to ask the people who already use 7 strings is: What are the pros and cons of having a bass with that many strings? What do you use them for? Is it your main bass or do you just use it when the 7th string is required?

Now i am half expecting loads of comments criticising people for using more than four strings but if we could please try to keep that to a minimum this could be a useful thread.

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1015774' date='Nov 7 2010, 09:44 PM']I thought i would start this thread for people who own or have played 7 string basses to discuss pros vs cons etc.

I am currently planning a new bass with a builder and it is looking more likely i am going to go with a 7 string with a low f Sharp .

WHY? i hear 90% of basschat scream? Well my main band is a tech metal band and my guitarists are planning to buy 8 string guitars in the not too distant future. I already play a 6 string and use the full range of the bass so i dont wanna loose the high C string. Now i hear you all shout "just play the higher bits higher on the neck. Granted this would work for some sections but not all and i dont like the way some parts sound further up the neck opposed to in the first 5 frets say.

What i wanted to ask the people who already use 7 strings is: What are the pros and cons of having a bass with that many strings? What do you use them for? Is it your main bass or do you just use it when the 7th string is required?

Now i am half expecting loads of comments criticising people for using more than four strings but if we could please try to keep that to a minimum this could be a useful thread.[/quote]

Cons???? Absolutely none at all!

What i wanted to ask the people who already use 7 strings is: What are the pros and cons of having a bass with that many strings?

- Ok, seriously now :) - the thing to be mindful is that a wider neck may require you to adjust your playing technique to accomodate playing a dextrous style of music.

What do you use them for?

- Absolutely everything! - Slap, Tap, Strum, Chords etc etc... I play ERBs because I like to experiment with different styles and genres and instead of having a whole selection of different instruments I really like the idea of a 'one bass fits all' plan!

Is it your main bass or do you just use it when the 7th string is required?

- Yes, both this and my 6 string Shuker are my main and only gigging / recording / practicing instruments.

A while ago, I did own a 7 string bass but it was strung B-F. I did not use it in a band situation, not due to anything other than that's not why I bought it.

I mainly gig with a 5 string nowdays and the low B is enough for me (and my cones) I personally would have no use for a low F# but took great pleasure and amusement from the high F. Being a guitarist too, it was great for tapping, chords etc. Don't know how well defined the lowest notes would be on the F# but as you play the music you do, I guess it would work for you.

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1015805' date='Nov 7 2010, 10:08 PM']Thanks for the replys so far.

Dood i was hoping you would chip in. You have a low F Sharp, do you have any problems with amps/cabs reproducing the open note?[/quote]

Ahh no problem, happy to help. In a word, yes I have experienced trouble with getting that low F# to sound clearly. The first thing to bare in mind is that most speaker cabinets will not produce the fundamental notes, probably not much below a normal B string - and even if they did, you need lots of power to be able to get the volume of the fundamental loud enough to be useful. Obviously, choosing a Bass that is also geared up to add as much definition and clarity to that F# string will help no end too. I worked very closely with Jon Shuker in designing my lil beast. He is very knowledeable and understood what problems were likely to be encountered in the design and we worked on minimising them.

Interestingly I am using non-ported cabinets at the moment - however they are 1000W RMS each and I throw a lot of watts at them - but I concentrate on the lower harmonics that the cabinets *can* produce on stage (By use of EQ for example). FOH PA with dirty great subs can worry about anything below that! Besides, you really don't want too many sub frequencies on stage anyway, because it all just turns to mush, your fellow musicians will just turn up to try hear themselves and the battle will just get messy!

I have a couple of 7's and a lovely 8 string (extended range bass).

The reason I bought them is I'm a boring old git who prefers his own company to that of a band, so I wanted something that allowed me to play over a much greater range. Mine are also extended in the upper registers, unlike what you're looking to do. For me a low B is often superfluous to be honest, but does make a good thumb anchor :). I doubt I'd have the balls to gig with any of these personally because I've not got the greatest levels of concentration and (especially on the 8 string) find myself occasionally lost when playing them (i.e. don't know what string I'm on :)) whereas the 4-6 strings are not so much of a problem. Also I don't have the largest hands and obviously the necks are pretty wide :lol:

This all said, I do love the 8 string a lot and even though the neck is very wide it's shallow and for the most part fairly easy to play.

So pro's are greater extended range and I suppose con's are wide neck which (if you have small-ish hands) can become tiring.

Anyway good luck with your build.

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1015823' date='Nov 7 2010, 10:24 PM']...... I've not got the greatest levels of concentration and (especially on the 8 string) find myself occasionally lost when playing them (i.e. don't know what string I'm on :)) whereas the 4-6 strings are not so much of a problem.[/quote]

You should see me on a 4 string!! I keep thinking the E is the B or F# and my brain gets confuzzled just the same!

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1015833' date='Nov 7 2010, 10:37 PM']Yeah i am only 5'7 so i have quite small hands and i already get really tired when playing with Taken By The Tide when a lot of the song on the first 5 frets but the lines a very busy.

Thats interesting and useful cheers Dood.[/quote]

No probs!

If you are going the custom route, there's a lot you can do to have the bass designed and set up to make dextrous passages less tiring too, especially in the lower registers. Make life easy for yaself :)

Yeah i am going Custom its going to be an ACG and it will have the asymmetrical neck which helps. TBH i think a lot of the pain i was experiencing was from wearing my bass too high so i have dropped it a bit and that helps. I also am planning to keep it as light as possible to save my back. I am going to re read your build thread for Doodle now.

Can you suggest anything else important to consider in the spec that will help?

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1015845' date='Nov 7 2010, 10:52 PM']Yeah i am going Custom its going to be an ACG and it will have the asymmetrical neck which helps. TBH i think a lot of the pain i was experiencing was from wearing my bass too high so i have dropped it a bit and that helps. I also am planning to keep it as light as possible to save my back. I am going to re read your build thread for Doodle now.

Can you suggest anything else important to consider in the spec that will help?[/quote]

I had a couple of Tobias basses with an Asym neck - it did help - but I think when the neck gets wider - is as much about the carve suiting your hand that will help relieve aches. There are even some 5 string basses that fatigue my hand in crazy passages that my 7 string wont. Interesting stuff, but I'm not a physio so I cant explain why :)

It could be that your Bass was too height - though I found that most of my issues were because the bass was too low. I have found that I have set my strap length so that if I am sat or stood, the bass is always in exactly the same position. This helps to minimise changing your technique if you get up out of your chair. It's important to exercise and stretch with any sport - and I think that with anything that requires further exertion (ie playing tech metal with a wide neck) should be treated the same way - so warming up properly etc.. I know, I know - it sounds boring, but it's worth it!

Ok - Bass design - Discuss your options of wood choice to get those harmonics singing out - they will help to improve that low note tone. I mean, a quality tonewood - not a becuase it's pretty! But our ACG man knows his stuff as well - so will be able to tell you better than I. I already knew what electronics and pickups I wanted on board as I had been studying bass tones I liked that were seriously down tuned - I was pretty chuffed to hear that most of the guys were using the same make pups as I had been for years! However, I changed from P style active EMG soapbars to DCs as they have more bite and have a very high output. My neck is pretty damn flat nut to bridge to facilitate tap style etc, but this requires a lighter touch when rocking out to keep buzzes to a minimum - though I actually like a bit when I dig in!

ummmm.. what else - super lightweight hardware!! 7 small tuning keys actually can be fatiguing on your shoulder when they are hanging at the end of a bass neck! - So either look for the lightest ones you can find (I use Gotoh Reso-Lite keys that were the lightest on the market at the time). Better still, have you thought about a headless bass? Gotta say, having a headless 6 string is awesome! it feels like not wearing a bass at all! :) - Hmmmm.. What if my Shuker 7 was a headless!! ??

Right, I'm rambling now - but if there's anything that is useful, then coooo-el!

Thats a good point about the Machine heads i will add that to my list of things to ask Alan about, Its getting pretty long LOL.

Between my ACG, Alembic and Warwick i have a fairly good idea of what i am after. My spec has quite a few similaritys to Doodle actually. Most notably: Single cut, Ash body (no fancy top), mainly Wenge neck (from the Warwick), Maple fingerboard (i think undecided on this bit).

My goal is to have a bass that i can take on tour and can get marked etc without me wanting to die. I bought my 6 string to play but i dont want it to get wrecked :).

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1015869' date='Nov 7 2010, 11:23 PM']Thats a good point about the Machine heads i will add that to my list of things to ask Alan about, Its getting pretty long LOL.

Between my ACG, Alembic and Warwick i have a fairly good idea of what i am after. My spec has quite a few similaritys to Doodle actually. Most notably: Single cut, Ash body (no fancy top), mainly Wenge neck (from the Warwick), Maple fingerboard (i think undecided on this bit).

My goal is to have a bass that i can take on tour and can get marked etc without me wanting to die. I bought my 6 string to play but i dont want it to get wrecked :).[/quote]

Excellent, sounds like a really nice spec! - I have to agree, I couldn't have a bass that I would be afraid to bump and mark.. on tour it will happen.. not a case of 'if' heh heh!

Cool, I look forward to seeing it - oh - and of course a build diary?? :)

I played 6 for a while before settling back to 5. The extended range and fingering choices are great so that's a pro, even more so on a 7. A con is that people will be startled by it and it's easy to get offended by hearing the same questions over again.

A con with the low F# is some people, like myself, just can't hear it. You will be leaving the range of hearing for some of your audience. Are you familiar with Jauqo III X's Low C# theory? [url="http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_lowc.html"]http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_lowc.html[/url] He tried to play it for me on a high end stereo system and I just couldn't hear the low notes. He hears them fine and thought I was teasing him but it's past my hearing range :)

Live it's got to be a nightmare, normal low B's can be almost unusable in many clubs and you will be making amping your bass much more difficult.

But if you want it go for it. 30 years ago a low B was only for crazy people and now it's almost standard.

Go for it man. I nearly bought a 7 string bass but it would have been my only main bass at that point so I didn't really have the balls. I might do in the future. As for low F# I can get down to G on one of my basses but any lower and I usually just have to octave up. But hell i mean if you want to go down that low then do it.