Why become a member? ×

God I Love Jazz Funk!

Pete Academy

I think most jazz funk is pretty awful, minus a lot of Herbie Hancock and maybe a few others. I love playing playing funk, but the term itself is a buzzword amongst musicians and particularly bass players, most likely because most funk tunes have a prominent bass line and drum part. Realistically I find the fusion of jazz and funk most of the time pretty annoying. Just my 2p though.

[quote name='risingson' post='1017878' date='Nov 9 2010, 05:56 PM']I think most jazz funk is pretty awful, minus a lot of Herbie Hancock and maybe a few others. I love playing playing funk, but the term itself is a buzzword amongst musicians and particularly bass players, most likely because most funk tunes have a prominent bass line and drum part. Realistically I find the fusion of jazz and funk most of the time pretty annoying. Just my 2p though.[/quote]
This. To me it lacks testosterone, no balls, no... oooomph. It's like plain wallpaper. It's takes the blandest parts of both genres and mixes it together to get something... bland. It's not crotch-thrusting enough to really be good funk and it doesn't have the edge that is great jazz.

So that's a no from me then.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1018079' date='Nov 9 2010, 08:28 PM']i'm sure i heard genesis p say 'nice' near the start there.

was he the fast shows' jazz-blokes' muse (haircut included) ?[/quote]
I don't know but "Tits" has left TG and I missed them at Hackney on 23/10. :)

Nice.

Edited by steve-soar

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1017970' date='Nov 9 2010, 07:01 PM']This. To me it lacks testosterone, no balls, no... oooomph. It's like plain wallpaper. It's takes the blandest parts of both genres and mixes it together to get something... bland. It's not crotch-thrusting enough to really be good funk and it doesn't have the edge that is great jazz.

So that's a no from me then.[/quote]

What he said :)

YES!!!!

But not everything - I 'acquired' the entire Incognito back catalogue about a year ago and some of the early stuff is killing - I like the recent album as well... but my fave jazz-meets-funk group of the last few years are the mighty Garaj Mahal - featuring bassist Kai Eckhardt - he's an absolute groove monster and is possibly my fave slap bassist as he always plays deep, grooving lines and NEVER resorts to flash w*** - anyway if you've never heard their stuff there are some full length MP3s you can check out here - their recent album WOOT is well worth getting as well:

[url="http://garajmahaljams.com/music.html"]http://garajmahaljams.com/music.html[/url]

M

Sometimes but not often. I like hearing some of what's about in the genre but seldom buy any. For me, the tension arises from the fact that jazz is about the sound of surprise and funk is about repetition. As the repetition in jazz funk is primarily on the part of the rhythm section, I usually get frustrated quite quickly and look elsewhere. But there are exceptions.