Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror "On / Standby" Light quick question

Cat Burrito

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1021634' date='Nov 12 2010, 04:23 PM']If it's plugged in & not "off" should the light be on all the time? I've had mine 15 minutes & the light has just gone out. Presumably a faulty bulb?[/quote]

Yep.. I've got a TB.. The light should be on when on standby or on.. As long as it works when the it's on and you hear the fan going when it's on standby and on.. It'll be fine.. just change the bulb when you can if second hand..

if new, just get it replaced for peace of mind

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1021650' date='Nov 12 2010, 04:35 PM']Thanks guys, it was new but more of a mild annoyance than anything more. It seems like a nice head & the fan noise, whilst there, didn't seem as bad as other threads seem to suggest[/quote]

Agreed.. Do you DI it? if you do you'll need a 40db in-lineAnnetuator as the DI is rather Hot.. It's very cheap from studiospares about £10

I love my TB

[quote name='algmusic' post='1021657' date='Nov 12 2010, 04:40 PM']Agreed.. Do you DI it? if you do you'll need a 40db in-lineAnnetuator as the DI is rather Hot.. It's very cheap from studiospares about £10

I love my TB[/quote]
It arrived the same day! I do my Basschat research and saw the thread. Yep, studiospares too :) About £7 with the postage too

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1021906' date='Nov 12 2010, 08:36 PM']So you got one after all Tim - am sure you`ll be happy with it, I think mine is great, really powerful, but soooo much better for all the carting about.[/quote]
Yeah, your thread coupled with my 90s Ampeg exploding made me takethe plunge. It sounds nice and old school but I only want it as a back up head where I can't afford the space. A bit annoying with the bulb but I'm sure I'll live

My bulbs a bit dodgy, does anyone know a replacement? I sooooooo love this amp though - a lots of people are talking about the BT in the rock & metal arena but i'm getting a great phat dub tone and am also going to try it with a funk band tommorrow :)

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1021659' date='Nov 12 2010, 04:43 PM'][url="http://www.studiospares.com/mic-accessories/pro-40db-inline-attenuator/invt/568600/"]40db attenuator link[/url][/quote]

Cheers for the link, they are only just over a fiver now! I'm sure somebody else got a switchable one somewhere, 40dB sounds rather a lot, but you can get 10,20,30 or 40 from the place linked above.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1023455' date='Nov 14 2010, 02:53 PM']Cheers for the link, they are only just over a fiver now! I'm sure somebody else got a switchable one somewhere, 40dB sounds rather a lot, but you can get 10,20,30 or 40 from the place linked above.[/quote]

The 40 is needed.. trust me

[quote name='Rasta' post='1022941' date='Nov 13 2010, 09:58 PM']My bulbs a bit dodgy, does anyone know a replacement? I sooooooo love this amp though - a lots of people are talking about the BT in the rock & metal arena but i'm getting a great phat dub tone and am also going to try it with a funk band tommorrow :)[/quote]
I've spent two days googling and have yet to find out. If I do I'll let you know!

I agree with your point. It was your comments on phat dub tone on another thread that made me finally take the plunge. The old school Americana tone I was after is basically the same as reggae (some might struggle with that concept?) & I'm happy with the tone I've got. Just a shame the bulb lasted all of 15 minutes!

I love this amp but I think there are definitely some issues with the QC or general build quality based on this and other threads. The first one I had went back because there was a loose wire that was getting stuck in the fan which actually caused the fan to start burning itself out. I've also had issues with the light but it's fine 90% of the time. I once plugged mine in and something went 'pop' and I could smell burning - I plugged it back in and it wouldn't work, I changed the fuse but it didn't make a difference, then I plugged it back in about an hour later and it was working 100% fine. Not sure what's going with it but that was quite a few months ago and it's still going strong. Sounds great though, wouldn't change it for anything.

I think the quality control issue is probably as they arent made in the usual UK Orange factory. Not that thats a major issue, just means they can produce more, quickly, and cheaper.

The BT500 is one hell of a steal for the price IMO.

My Dual Terror (Guitar) had a bad tube which I never found until I started testing it at full 30W level. I'd had it quite a while (9 months perhaps?) and Orange were very helpful in sorting it out.

If its new, just get it swapped. If its in warranty, get Orange UK to sort you out. :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1023787' date='Nov 14 2010, 07:15 PM']I've spent two days googling and have yet to find out. If I do I'll let you know!

I agree with your point. It was your comments on phat dub tone on another thread that made me finally take the plunge. The old school Americana tone I was after is basically the same as reggae (some might struggle with that concept?) & I'm happy with the tone I've got. Just a shame the bulb lasted all of 15 minutes![/quote]

Agreed... It's been tipped at the rock only amp.. and I use it it for 90% of my session which is really mix of groove, folk, pop and rock stuff.. Vintage warmth is was I say it is.. I agree there are a few little things, I'd change but for the money, I'd be paying double and then some to want to change this amp.. I.e. All valves and that's not great for the ole back.

Every gig and recording I do, I get compliments on the amp whether through the cab or DI...

Just an update. I'd emailed Orange on Friday evening just to query the bulb. They are sending me a free one out as a courtesy and the guy even chatted via email about potential cab options. Very cool service which is interesting as the googling revealed people generally weren't happy with Orange's customer service.