Why become a member? ×

Beginners Combo

pqs

Hi
I have just started playing bass (about a month ago) and have bought myself a Yamaha RBX 170 and a little MB15 for practicing at home. I have got in touch with a couple of guitarists and a drummer and we are going to start rehearsing next week(no point in waiting to long we are all old!) if we get to the small gigs stage what would be a good combo to get? And what sort of size would I need? I will not bee needing it for rehearsal as I can use the rehearsal studio amp for £2.20. Any cheap as possible ideas?
PS
I'm probably thinking next year
Ta
Pete

Hi Pete.
It's a bit difficult to say what sort of amp is going to suit you best at the moment, especially as you haven't started rehearsing yet.
Probably the best advice I could give at the moment is see how well the rented studio amp does the job and use that as a baseline to select your gigging amp.
If you let us know what you used, how well it performed once everyone else was playing and what budget you want to work to, I'm sure that folks here will be able to give you some damn good suggestions of what to look at.

HTH

Good advice there, if the amp at the rehearsal studio is powerful enough for your band, then aim for at least that power or more, on your own amp. Combos can be a good first buy, and can easily be loud enough for small gigs. To be honest, much of the bass gear around now is so powerful, I can`t think where there would ever be the need to run them flat out - Wemley Stadium maybe.

There is always some great gear for sale on here, so keep your eyes open for what yr after. Plus, a vast amount of knowledge and experience of gear, so you should get some useful tips.

It also depends on your genre you play, line up of your band & what your drummer is like. With my drummer I know I can get away with a 100w combo without actually sounding like I'm just "getting away" with my tone but other drummers you may need a lot more. Generally the market is much better these days and there are some great deals around most of the top brands

• 2 weeks later...

Well we had a practice yesterday and had a really good time,although I have been playing weeks and one guitarist has played for 7 years and the other one has been playing at least 20! I got a bit nervous when one of the guitarists opened his cases and had a Gary Moore Les Paul and his back up was a Fender Strat compared to my Yammy.
We had a good time and are meeting up in a couple of weeks this time with a drummer (he couldn't make yesterday so we used the drum machine on a Line 6 combo).
I played through an Ashdown Electic Blue 15 180 watts it was ok seemed loud but didn't have it two high as I tried to hide a bit at first but turned it up as confidence grew. I am looking to probably buy one of these next year when I have saved a few pennies although one of the guys has offered to let me use a mesa boogie rig.
Thanks for your help
Pete

[quote name='pqs' post='1031607' date='Nov 21 2010, 05:51 PM']Well we had a practice yesterday and had a really good time,although I have been playing weeks and one guitarist has played for 7 years and the other one has been playing at least 20! I got a bit nervous when one of the guitarists opened his cases and had a Gary Moore Les Paul and his back up was a Fender Strat compared to my Yammy.
We had a good time and are meeting up in a couple of weeks this time with a drummer (he couldn't make yesterday so we used the drum machine on a Line 6 combo).
I played through an Ashdown Electic Blue 15 180 watts it was ok seemed loud but didn't have it two high as I tried to hide a bit at first but turned it up as confidence grew. I am looking to probably buy one of these next year when I have saved a few pennies although one of the guys has offered to let me use a [b]mesa boogie rig.[/b]
Thanks for your help
Pete[/quote]
Ooooh, you lucky devil you :)

Good to hear it went well. Nothing wrong with they Yammy, it does the job it's asked to do.
Cheers