Why become a member? ×

Still trying to find "the one".

ThomBassmonkey

The ONLY issue I find on the Laklands are weight and the 35" scale. I find some of them are SUPER heavy....some are not. Also, the neck is super comfy, but my hands got very tired very quickly...but thats probably just me as I have quite small hands. I think Ive realised 34" is perfect for me.

But, if you like the necks, the Lakkies are good basses. Again, Ive had bad experiences with their quality control, but that's just whats happened to me.

Edited by Musicman20

Finding "the one" has always been a bit of a funny thing for me, I've always tried to keep a Kubicki in my life as they are as good as it gets. I was lost without one! So in a way, #1659, my second Kubicki is my #1.

However, my go to bass these days in my ACG singlecut, I just love it. I only play from the studio these days, but even then I like to rest the Kubicki despite the fact it leads an extremely pampered life being played from a padded leather chair in a studio! Getting the ACG was a revelation in that it was more than just an impressive bass which I loved playing, it felt like Excalibur in my hand.

I feel like I suppose Vic Wooten does about his #1 Fodera Monarch. That the ACG Harlot Singlecut #1 will be in my hands in 20 years, albeit wearing the gentle mojo that a boutique bass could collect from studio use. I am so taken with the bass that in the new year (once the car insurance is paid for for another year!) I'll be ordering another bass from Alan at ACG. Likely to be the same shape and dimensions as my bass now, but fretless and with different woods.

I hope that you are successful in finding a bass that is good enough to be #1! And if you ever want to try my ACG and you're in the North East of England then just give me a shout.

I've had a look at ACGs, they look VERY nice basses for the money, saving up another few hundred pounds to get a custom could be an option. If I'm up your way in the near future, I'll defo take you up on the offer for a noodle on yours, thanks mate. :)

The problem with customs is I don't like asking about prices for hypothetical basses when I'm only doing a rough look at what I want, especially at small companies. There is a GORGEOUS Skelf SC though (the Lazarus bass, 0017 on the gallery page), I bet it was way out of my budget though. :)