Why become a member? ×

Horn/tweeter on my Aggie DB12 on its way out

warwickhunt

Tweeter has started making some none too pleasant noises (other than the nasty noise I make when I play), is it a case of replacing the whole unit (and do I need an Aguilar part) or are there replaceable components?

I'll go off and do a search on t'interweb but wondered if anyone had first hand experience! :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1023800' date='Nov 14 2010, 07:23 PM']Tweeter has started making some none too pleasant noises (other than the nasty noise I make when I play), is it a case of replacing the whole unit (and do I need an Aguilar part) or are there replaceable components?

I'll go off and do a search on t'interweb but wondered if anyone had first hand experience! :)[/quote]

Aguilar's website reckons they have a 10 year warranty, but that is stateside and I dare say there are a different set of rules over here.
You can usually get a replacement diaphragm assembly for tweeters (as long as they're not piezo, in which case they just get binned).

Replacement diaphragm + torque wrench + 5 minutes = working tweeter.

BUT - (and I can hear you swearing that there's always a damn "but") there will also be a crossover and associated cabling inside the cabinet - the problem might lie there.
If it was me, before tracking down spare parts for the tweeter, I'd make sure that the connections to the tweeter are solid and perhaps find an old tweeter from something else and connect that up just to make sure it's not the crossover that's breaking down...

Sensible advice from icastle here. If there is a problem with the crossover, you should be able to see it. Crossover components don't normally fail without showing some visible signs of failure. It could also be a loose or frayed wire, or a poor solder joint - so check for those while you are at it.
I'd be tempted to leverage the 10-year warranty. Otherwise, you will need to find out who makes the part and obtain a replacement or a replacement diaphragm. It will be a lot less expensive than buying from Aguilar if you can find out who made it.

No first hand experience, unfortunately.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1025225' date='Nov 15 2010, 09:23 PM']I'll take the driver out and see if I can find visible evidence and/or see if I can trial a replacement tweeter to trial/test it.[/quote]
Post a photo if you can. Somebody might recognize it.

[quote name='crez5150' post='1025273' date='Nov 15 2010, 10:19 PM']You can get replacement diaphragms easy enough. They are the foster type. I replaced both of my aggie DB112 horns in aroun half hour. Cost about six quid from eBay I would check the x-over for dry solder joints as I had the same problem couple of years back[/quote]

You had the same problem with Aggie DB112 cabs? Hmmm are we talking common defect?