Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Basses

Stag

[quote name='Stag' post='1028610' date='Nov 18 2010, 10:30 PM']Ill have to go out and try some more I think :)

A part of me is thinking that maybe im percieving these necks to be really slim.... when a large factor why I think this could be down to the fact im used to my Ric, which isnt exactly slim :)[/quote]

It's not just perception. They ARE really slim compared to most other basses.

My Ibanez SR400 is similar, or even thinner (shallower, rather), but that's what makes it not as nice to me. I prefer bigger necks. I play a Jazz copy that sounds great, and has teh trademark thin Jazz neck... which I love but at the same time I realy do prefer slightly bigger necks.
For me, the ideal is teh Stingray neck. It is wider than a Jazz, but it's shallow, so it doesn't feel as chunky as a P-bass. It just seems to fill my hand better and it's more comfortable for me (despite not having big hands).

At first I also thought Jazz was teh neck to have, but if you persevere a bit, you can play with just about any neck, so to me it's more a matter of finding a neck profile that feels comfortable to hold... and the thin necks can be less comfortable long term than a wider one.

Personal preference at teh end of teh day.

[quote name='icastle' post='1028779' date='Nov 19 2010, 01:30 AM']Totally agree.
You'd think that, with the money they cost, Fender could spare another 2" of wood and a scrap of fret wire... :)[/quote]
It wouldn't be the same bass though would it. It would alter its character. Different neck socket and stuff.

[quote name='icastle' post='1028779' date='Nov 19 2010, 01:30 AM']Totally agree.
You'd think that, with the money they cost, Fender could spare another 2" of wood and a scrap of fret wire... :)[/quote]

Oh I don't know - most of the time I'd be happy with a 15-fret neck! :)

I also love Jazz necks but i find they aren't all equal.

I hated the MIM 70's classic neck. Very chunky and it had a 7.25" radius. I then tried three MIA's and they felt nicer but not quite right. All this time i had a Squier CV Jazz and thats a really fast neck. Plus it has vintage frets so i can get a nice low action.
This neck in now on my CV P so i have the best of both.

My HW-one neck seems to fall in the middle as its a bit chunkier but very comfortable.

Edited by dave_bass5