Why become a member? ×

David Gage (bad) Sound Clip

Mr Bassman

• 2 months later...

Well, I thought I'd take one for the team, somebody had to!

Having more than one instrument and various pickups I thought I'd found the answer to my prayers, please God give me something that will sound amazing on any bass that is an easy fix / removal!

I was about to order one from overseas when I found it in stock for next day delivery in the UK.

Well it turned up next day and I couldn't wait to try it out.

I opened the box and was surprised how heavy it felt. It seemed nicely engineered but had a ding in the back!

Gage recommends fitting the soundclip at the bottom of the bridge close to the table.

I thought I'd try it on my old French bass (which I use a K&K Bassmax for a real, natural, my bass but louder sound). The threads on the adjuster were binding and I had difficulty opening the jaws wide enough to fit this bridge.

This is not a one handed operation so the bass needs support while you find the "sweet spot"!

Well I couldn't find the sweet spot, it sounded dreadful (into acoustic image coda 111)

Tried it on my modern carved Hungarian (Upton Rev Solo 11 or Underwood), same probs.

Tried it on my Kolstein travel bass (has full circle fitted) same probs

Then tried it on my Yamaha SLB100 ( sounds best with Underwood) sounded terrible.

Oh dear! £350 for something that sounds awful, has faulty threads and leaves marks on your bridge!

I contacted the online retailer and they agreed to refund the item if I returned it, which I did.

I emailed David Gage about the problems, they've not even bothered to reply!

So I'm back to using whatever suits whichever instrument, but I'm getting happy sounds and £350 better off!

Edited by Mr Bassman

That's a shame mate as that sort of design really appeals. I also liked the concept of the Vektor and DPA but again price is an inhibitor.

If anyone can crack the portable pickup market with something truly portable and good sounding on all instruments they'll be minted

At least you got your money back.

• 2 years later...

To me, the Soundclip is a modified version of the Barcus Berry B3150 that I was using ten years ago. Although it was one of the truest sounding pickups I'd ever used, there were certain issues with it that led to me getting shut.
I saw the Pattituci demo on youtube and was very excited at what I heard...Based on your experience, I'll think I'll hold fire for now.....

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1385575358' post='2289867']
Has anybody ever constructed a pick up that attaches to the bridge like a clip on tuner?
The Snark tuner I am using seems to have no trouble with the signal if you get it positioned correctly so maybe there is potential for a design there?
[/quote]

Fishman BP100 - like this [url="http://www.lemurmusic.com/Fishman-BP-100-Upright-Bass-Pickup-Transducer/productinfo/A1460/"]http://www.lemurmusic.com/Fishman-BP-100-Upright-Bass-Pickup-Transducer/productinfo/A1460/[/url]

Seems to get some bad reviews but I quite like it, works well on my bass anyway.

The old trick with the BP100 was glue it in place - Mo Clifton glued mine years ago and it sounded much stronger and darker. He was careful to make sure the bridge was properly flat, and tried a few nudges around to get the best sound. It will never come off without complete destruction..so its a one way trip.

The other thing is that pickup really needs a good high impedance preamp to sound good, at all. Even then it has a lot of high end finger noise and can be scratchy without EQ.

I was considering trying it with some double sided industrial strength sticky tape..I did try it in the bridge wings, wedged in with some wooden shims, but that was horribly scratchy and hollow sounding. The Fishman website says it has a 10MOhm impedance, which matches the input of om the Plat Pro Plus and my Headway pre, but to my ears it had a better sound just going straight into the 1MOhm input of the EA Doubler. As I said, it sounded fine at home and in rehearsal, but at gig volume, (especially halfway through the second set where the PA volume starts to creep up) it became really middly and hollow sounding with no low end - perhaps that's where the preamp would have come in useful?

I've got a Bassmax in there at the moment and I'll fit a Realist at the weekend, so plenty of options to be going on with!