Why become a member? ×

Great and good of basschat, I need your help with export for warranty repair

Toasted

I need to return an effect pedal worth £200 to the US manufacturer for warranty repair. I've obviously already imported this pedal and paid import duty and VAT to HRMC when it first arrived in the UK.

When I send the pedal back to the manufacturer I don't want them to have to pay import duty to get it into the USA, and when they return it to me I don't want to have to pay import duty and VAT that I've already paid one before. (Are you keeping up with me?)

I phoned the lovely Caroline at HRMC yesterday morning who told me that I needed to go to my Post Office and ask them when declaring the package through customs to apply the [b](O.P.R. "outward processing relief) - simplified procedure".[/b]

Predictably when I went to the post office I got the "I've work'd fer Post Office thi'ty year and ave never 'eard o' that". To which I replied, "It only became active on 2005 can you see if someone else here knows how to do it?". Needless to say my trip was a failure. I've also tried to explain my predicament at length to my local Parcel Force depot who don't want to know either.

What do I do!!?

Edited by Toasted

No idea about that I'm afraid, but certainly when we send stuff back to our factories in China we do special invoices saying the goods are rejected and not commercial. Probably no help at all :) I'll have a chat with our accounts lot to see if they have any idea what the PO is on about

Mert

Hi Joe

I'm in a similar position.

What I've been told, after numerous calls to HMCE, that there's a simplified procedure for export of private goods.

I needed to write 'Private goods exported for repair under warranty' clearly on the box, and ask for proof of posting.

When it's shipped back, the sender needs to write the same thing. The courier will then contact you for the proof of postage before releasing it to you.

Now... don't quote me on this, but this is what I settled on after numerous calls to HMCE. Every time I rang I got a different answer but this seemed the most popular one!

However, it didn't apply to me in the end as the the Post Office were going to charge £45(!) to ship a 2.5KG parcel to the US with £500 insurance. I'm going to use a courier instead, and the process is different. Ah well... start again.