Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass - I've never liked them

The Dark Lord

[quote name='stonecoldbass' post='1032135' date='Nov 22 2010, 01:10 AM']Why would you not want your bass to have bass and low mids exactly...?![/quote]

He said you don't want to [i]fill[/i] it with them - an unbalanced, boomy low end does tend to screw things up from a sound engineer's perspective. Bass-heavy sounds have to be tuned pretty carefully (especially indoors with room nodes and the like).

To the OP, I think the fact you set the controls to noon was the root of the problem, I look forward to hearing how you get on next time!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1032315' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:18 AM']I dont really think the cabs are wooly, but ive barely used them. They do seem very loud, very mid focussed (I dont mind that at all) and extremely well built. Those speakers can take a hell of a wallop as well. Crazy to watch how much they move.[/quote]

yeah, they do move a lot!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1032362' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:51 AM']I've heard some players get a great sound out of Markbass rigs, but for my ear there are better cabs out there. The reality with "modern" amps and cabs is that what you put in you get out. So you can’t blame your gear these days.[/quote]

Indeed.

I think my basses sound good and so amping them with most things isn't a problem, certainly not the MB I have tried.
That is why I am pretty dam sure when I use something different, it isn't the bass, it is that kit.

No names mentioned but I know which kit I have had most problems with recently..well, twice, and both times I went off them as I couldn't just plug in and play with a minimum of messing around. I flattened everything ...as per the dials anyway, and was still having to contend with too much...

I've been sitting on the fence about Mark bass ...until I heard Michael Manring play through two MB combos (at the same time) at our Zon clinic last month. None of which went through the P.A. and they filled a very large room (200 seater) with wonderous sounds. Any louder, and ear defenders would have been needed ..and they could have been turned up a lot more.

I'm now coming off that fence!

I used a MarkBass LMIII through an Orange OBC410 and got a pretty nice tone out of it with my freshly strung custom P Bass but I've gotta agree with everyone who says that the MarkBass cabinets are muddy. I tried out their compact 4x10 cabinet (can't remember the exact model) and it really wasn't very nice at all. So yeah, try out the MarkBass heads with a different cabinet and maybe you'll get the tone you like

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1032885' date='Nov 22 2010, 05:01 PM']I'm wondering if it's more to do with the actual bass in relation to this "muddy" or "wooly" sound as opposed to just the MB cabs?[/quote]

thats the thing.. markbass, and all other hi-fi rigs is giving you the sound of your bass

when i run my 73 p bass through it it sounds woolly and undefined, with wood and tronics and the shuker it sounds delightful

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1032885' date='Nov 22 2010, 05:01 PM']I'm wondering if it's more to do with the actual bass in relation to this "muddy" or "wooly" sound as opposed to just the MB cabs?[/quote]

I'd put money on it being incorrect use of the filters 9 times out of 10.

They arent obvious, they arent very clearly marked, they are different from the rest of the controls in their operation. All bad UI design decisions...

Shame 'cos the cabs aren't as bad as people make out IMO, and the amps are superb...

I've been using one at the rehearsal studio we use and it sounds great with my Warwick, but not so good with my Precision.

Its an SD800 head with a 1x15 and a 4x10, I wouldn't say it sounds better than my old Acoustic rig, but its a hell of a lot louder!

And yes, after the initial shock of seeing the cones move so much, it is quite entertaining!

I had the 1x15 combo and found it.. to be muddy.. Changed my bass, and it sound great.. The 1x15 by it's self can be a bit warm, almost a bit wolley, but after going from an active EMG'ed Ibanez to a passive Fender Aerodyne and an old Jazz.. it sound great. But I'd not usually use the 1x15 by itself, unless I want a deep low sound. I think you start with a 2x10 or 1x12, then add the 1x15 or an extra 1x12 for 'beef'..

The cabs/amps are very neutral and uncoloured, so you get the sound you put in..

I've moved to Orange, but I'm pretty sure I'll get the LM3 again.. but not because I think they're bad.. just a different taste. I'm after aggy now

I think sometimes we forget that the bass is just as important as the amp.. ;-)