Why become a member? ×

Temporary Nirvana

Paul S

Gigged last night with a combination of recently acquired gear that I haven't put together before and I still have a huge smile on my face - the sound was just exactly what I want.

So, Trace Elliot rig - AH300-12 head, with just the pre-shape engaged, put through a 2x10 and the new humongous 1x18. Hmmm. Not a huge venue, just a pub, so I could have got away with just one smaller cab instead of schlepping all that heavy kit there. But worth it for that pit in the stomach feeling you get that (IMO) small rigs cannot give.

First time I have gigged my new Fender Power Jazz Special. What a bass! Still not got my head around what the various knobs can do as they are a bit 'odd' but I found a sweet spot with a particular combination of boost/cut settings that makes me extremely happy. Sounds nothing like the Jaguar or anything else I've tried. And what I think has made a huge difference is that the bass came with a set of DR Black Beauties - these have more presence than the flats I have been using recently. Not overly bright, they cut through perfectly yet are still easier to play than any other roundwound I have tried. And I used a lighter weight pick - .83mm - with a lighter touch rather than the paving slab I usually grab which made playing the faster bits easier and I felt a bit more in control. Overall there was a huge foundation of sound with enough going on to cut through without being intrusive. This is for a heavy rock covers - UFO, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy etc - so just about spot on.

Just thought I wanted to tell someone - makes a change from posting about problems. :)