Why become a member? ×

Marshall EL34-50/50 or 100/100... Are they good for bass?

StevieD_FenderP2009

Hey guys

I was looking into getting a power amp to go with my rig once it's finished (few months hopefully) and I've managed to find 2 that I would possibly buy. One of them being a C-Audio SR707 and the other being the Marshall EL34-50/50 or 100/100

My question is, would the Marshall one be suitable for a bass guitar rig? would it add any unwanted overdrive to the bass tone and would it get rid of any of the clarity of my bass tone?
Oh, also, the obvious one, does it cut any of the low end out at all?

If anyone could help me out then that would be great.
Cheers
Stevie

If the power amps are anything like the guitar amps, they'll have wee tiny underspecced output transformers, so will be rubbish for bass, as the ability to pass low frequencies is proportional to the size. No point in having power valves if you don't want a bit of drive going on. Plus those are stereo, so you need a couple of cabs to run them, or a stereo cab.

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1032149' date='Nov 22 2010, 02:31 AM']Well what would be the ideal valves to put in those to not have any unwanted overdrive?[/quote]

It doesn't work like that I'm afraid.
You don't get "clean valves" and "distorty valves" - they just are what they are and that can't be changed within the realms of a feasible setup.
It's just the way they are used in the overall circuit, that gives them their unique sound.

Personally (and I know I'm going to win myself howls of derision here!) I can't stand the damn things, but that's a matter of personal choice. :)
I'm much happier with solid state amps and the clean, consistant, flat sound that they produce (unless one decides to add a MegaZonk GrindAss MuffMuncher pedal or some such nonsense...).

Having now p*ss*d off about 75% of BC by being a bit too honest in my opinions, I'll just sit in the corner here and await my slapping... :)

Edited by icastle

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1032369' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:58 AM']Right then, well thanks for your help guys, looks like I won't be going for the Marshall power amp then :) Would of looked f***ing cool with the Marshall cabs but seeing as Marshall won't make one that sounds good for clean bass tones then I'll have to skip it. C-Audio it is then![/quote]
Shameless plug, but the DBS 7400 can do clean rather well, as the pre-amp valve is blendable.