Why become a member? ×

Cheap, 50s vintage style P bass single coil?

Soloshchenko

Anyone know of anyone who manufactors affordable (as in cheaper than SD) 50s style single coil precision pickups?

I suppose the title was fine on it's own really. :)

I'm doing up a cheap project and don't wanna stretch to paying SD prices. Seems the world and his mother make P Bass 2 part hb pickups but nobody does the vintage single coil style.

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1033073' date='Nov 22 2010, 07:14 PM']Anyone know of anyone who manufactors affordable (as in cheaper than SD) 50s style single coil precision pickups?

I suppose the title was fine on it's own really. :)

I'm doing up a cheap project and don't wanna stretch to paying SD prices. Seems the world and his mother make P Bass 2 part hb pickups but nobody does the vintage single coil style.[/quote]

Depends what you call 'cheap'. I've got a single coil which came out of a Japanese Fender in favour of an SD and, because it was then damaged, it's been re-wound to a hotter spec. It would have to go at the re-wind cost - £30.00.

PM if interested.

I'd keep tabs on EBay. I got my SD Antiquity for my 51 RI for a mere £26 or £28 (I can't remember which one!). Bear in mind the Antiquity is the most expensive of SD's range. I've seen a fair few go for similar money, albeit slighty higher. If you are not in a major hurry it's worth watching EBay and advertising here too