Why become a member? ×

Straplock body screws coming loose..?

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1034124' date='Nov 23 2010, 05:24 PM']sorry just did a search...cocktail stick it is then[/quote]

Yep, a cocktail stick seems a good bet. (Some say they're better than matches). It's a great trick to learn - it's quick, easy and cheap, but it works!

Wrap some plumbers tape (the PTFE stuff) around the thread and screw it back in. I did this on my Ric about 4 years ago when it used to unscrew itself during a gig as I moved around (think my strap must've gripped the pin somehow) and it's never budged since.

I was worried (probably unnecessarily) about the cocktail stick method as this would surely exert a lot of extra sideways pressure on the surrounding wood, hence the PTFE tape I eventually used as I figured I only needed a little extra girth in the screw to make it grip properly. As I say, it's never budged in 4 years now.

[i]Edited for typo[/i]

Edited by stevebasshead

• 3 months later...

[quote name='LemonCello' post='1041076' date='Nov 29 2010, 01:54 PM']Used a thick (cook's) match to completely fill the hole up, then the screws tightened up nicely.

Worked a treat[/quote]

As someone who's nervous about all technical issues (for fear of breaking something) I used this fix last night on a wobbly strap pin. Worked perfectly and made me feel all manly for fixing it myself.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1034116' date='Nov 23 2010, 06:20 PM']Ok the strap locks a keep coming loose on my bass..i mean the screws that hold em on to the body of course....what can i do? ive heard of the matchstick and glue method but can some one explain or send me a link?

cheers!![/quote]

Hello Bubunga5, I know who you are. Hey but you know where I live, DOH!

Had the same problem and I came to the conclusion it was the Straplocks, I found the Ernie Ball to be the best as it allows a full 360 degree turn of the nut and all others simply don't.