Why become a member? ×

Advice Needed - re-coning 2 cabs

Dominion28

Hi folks,

First off I'll start by saying this is my first post and I'm not a bassist! :)

I'm re-coning a set of extension cabs from my rehearsal/recording studio and I'm looking for recommendations for replacement drivers. The cabs are the Laney Ritcher series 4x10 and 1x15. I'm just looking to upgrade from the Celestion Truvox that were previously installed within a reasonable budget, but not knowing a great deal about bass cabs/speaker choices I thought I'd ask you guys.

I'm not looking to go high end, I'd just like something a bit more reasonable to use them as individual 250-300W 8 ohm extension cabs for the RB8 combos I'm using in the rehearsal rooms (one on each). Any help you guys can give in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. If any one happens to be in my area please feel free to come down to the studio :)

thanks guys

Hi Dominion,
I assume you mean replacing rather than reconing. The two leading budget brands of speaker suitable for bass guitar are currently Celestion and Fane. I suspect that Fane currently has the edge in the value-for-money stakes. Eminence is mentioned a lot, but their stuff if very hit and miss. Phil Starr, who is well informed about these matters, tried out some of the Fanes not long ago. You might like to PM him, as I haven't seen him posting for a week or two.

Celestion makes a number of ranges specifically designed for bass guitar. So you are unlikely to go wrong by choosing from the Celestion Green (in preference to the Orange) bass guitar range here: [url="http://professional.celestion.com/bass/green/index.asp"]http://professional.celestion.com/bass/green/index.asp[/url]. The neo drivers are more expensive than the traditional ferrite magnet ones but offer the advantage of lightness, which is probably irrelevant for your purposes.

Edited by stevie

Thanks Stevie.

Before we make any recommendations a quick caution. Speakers and cabs form a tuned unit with the cabs optimised to match the speakers. This is quite important with sealed cabs and essential with bass reflex/ported cabs. Fortunately different speakers can be similar in their specs. and you can bodge together a good speaker system but not every speaker will match every cab. We'd need to know the internal volume of your cab and the size of any holes or ports. You may have to change the ports which is easy if they are tubes.

Fane's are good value in the UK at the moment. I think what Stevie has said about Eminence is fair, there are some good ones there, but their design decisions are a bit haphazard at times. Celestion Truvox speakers are general purpose/PA speakers and they make a range of qualities in the range so don't dismiss them completely, you could upgrade by buying one higher in the range. Celestion Green and Orange speakers are clearly designed to be 'characterful' and 'musical' as are some of the Eminences. The rest are fairly neutral designs. Once you go beyond these manufacturers the prices go through the roof though there are some lovely speakers out there. Character speakers would be great for a practice studio but for recording you might want to have something more neutral and well controlled and use EQ to get the sound you want.

If you get back with the dimensions of your cabs and the ports, if any, and tell us what sound you want and how much you want to spend we can start making suggestions.

If you want some reading try this [url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/choosing_speakers_to_drive_your_cabs.html"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gea..._your_cabs.html[/url] I apologise for the techie nature of the article though, I am such a nerd.

Stevie, if you ever fancy a trip this way I'd love a second opinion on my cabs.

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='1034867' date='Nov 24 2010, 11:00 AM']Stevie, if you ever fancy a trip this way I'd love a second opinion on my cabs.[/quote]
You're not all that far from me, Phil. Sounds like an idea. I'd be very interested to hear what you've concocted. You can buy me a pint whilst we're at it :)

[quote name='stevie' post='1035391' date='Nov 24 2010, 06:12 PM']You're not all that far from me, Phil. Sounds like an idea. I'd be very interested to hear what you've concocted. You can buy me a pint whilst we're at it :)[/quote]
I'll pm you then, beer not a problem, bring a bass.