Why become a member? ×

More moronic effects questions

john_the_bass

right, my new pedal board is planned in my head, but i have some questions.

What does a bassballs do?
Are there any octave [b]up[/b] effects? I think the unibass does octave up, but will it do it without any fuzz?
Has anybody tried using something like a danelectro spring king for that spring reverb crash?

Edited by john_the_bass

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='118455' date='Jan 11 2008, 12:32 PM']right, my new pedal board is planned in my head, but i have some questions.

What does a bassballs do?
Are there any octave [b]up[/b] effects? I think the unibass does octave up, but will it do it without any fuzz?
Has anybody tried using something like a danelectro spring king for that spring reverb crash?[/quote]

It sounds a bit like this:_

There's quite a few pedals that give an octave up - digitech whammy and EBS octobass off the top of my head.

Hamster

Edited by Hamster

Bassballs is two filters that move in opposite directions creating a vowel/vocal effect and you can have this with or with out fuzz. My overall opinion of it is low and I would recommend looking at anything else.

There are no analog units that do a clean octave up all the others are digital and the following will do that, EHX Pog, Hog, Micro Pog, Digitech Whammy 4 (Plus previous models) that pretty much covers the mass produced units.

Spring king will do that it has the kick button for that exact purpose but doesn't seem it would be all that useful :) its not a great pedal for anything else

yes sorry i wondered if anybody had bothered using a spring king (kick button). i agree that it probably wouldn't be that useful.
i might have a look at a micro pog - is it as micro as the title suggests as the others are a bit big
filter wise, are there any recommendations?

[quote name='Hamster' post='118463' date='Jan 11 2008, 12:47 PM']It sounds a bit like this:_[/quote]

no youtube at work, will have a look later, ta

I'm using a WH4 for my octave up and downs now. I was using an XP-100 (an older whammy) which to be honest, give a miles better tone, but, i've swapped with my guitarist for practicality reasons. If you could find one of them, it also has a great chorus, and some cool wahs, and you can footswitch between patches, while bypassed! (can't do this with WH4)

EDIT: You can get them for £80-£100 which is better than a new WH4 I think.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='118555' date='Jan 11 2008, 02:32 PM']What ever Kev decides is fair this week[/quote]

thanks for that :)

i think £90-£100 would get you a Unibass

if you want just a straight octave up pitch shift, get one of those. if you cant find one, go the micropog route, you can do chords with that too

[quote name='cheddatom' post='118666' date='Jan 11 2008, 04:38 PM']I've heard lots of people say this. Have you really tried it? I've not, but I wonder how/if it really works?[/quote]

Heard soundclips of it working and know people that have sold Octron's for them and the only reason you would sell a lush sounding analog octave for the sterile digital one is tracking :) from what I've heard it goes down to low b and can handle chords and I've heard these claims from a hell of a lot of people.