Why become a member? ×

Air Studio 1

jakenewmanbass

[quote name='mike257' post='1042080' date='Nov 30 2010, 10:43 AM']Colour me impressed, that's awesome! What are you working on there? Would love to just be a fly on the wall in a place like that, it's a different world to my usual recording environments![/quote]
I'm working on an Album project that is ongoing, we have 9 tracks all recorded from a total of about 16 then as we mix and craft the album we'll decide on the best tracks and takes. I am the MD of the project and I have a hand in producing it too. I make the charts and work on the arrangements with the Artist. It's a total joy to work there, with virtually every track, I have made complete takes with the bass tracks, very little overdubbing or repair, the reason being that I feel very comfortable there (been there quite a bit now) so I seem to play the parts just as they should be, which is helped by the fantastic atmosphere of the place. The girl in the pic (Olga Fitzroy) is engineer/producing she is a major part of the team and is also a joy to work with.
I did post some pics earlier in the year of us in there, we'll be in again soon so I'll keep this thread updated. We have also recorded some of the vocals at Strongroom which is AIR owned too.

Edited by jakesbass

One really nice aspect of this project is that we have recorded it a lot over the years and the basic ingredients are Gtr/Vox/Bass, so we have lots of acoustic versions already in the can which can act as bonus releases and b sides. That's how it all started at AIR just me (on double bass) the singer and the guitarist, doing a little side project with the engineer which grew into full band (9 piece sometimes) and a full on major recording project.

Brilliant sounding project and lovely atmospheric snaps as well Jake - funnily enough I recorded there quite a few moons ago with a somewhat ill fated project - well it fizzled out rather than was 'fated' :) - but we definitely did a session there in the late 1990s - the main room is stunning from what I can remember of it.

Do share any finished results you have as and when they are broadcast ready.

M

a quick one ...

my daughter once worked at Air Studios (work experience after uni) - she shadowed the great man himself - yep Sir George Martin.

I picked her up from there a few times and met him - nice chap, showed me around. I told him I loved his work with the Beatles - 'who?' he replied (I'm pretty sure he was joking)

[quote name='deBassMan' post='1043380' date='Dec 1 2010, 09:35 AM']a quick one ...

my daughter once worked at Air Studios (work experience after uni) - she shadowed the great man himself - yep Sir George Martin.

I picked her up from there a few times and met him - nice chap, showed me around. I told him I loved his work with the Beatles - 'who?' he replied (I'm pretty sure he was joking)[/quote]
Lovely story, was that in the days when it was in town? It moved from central London to Lyndhurst hall in Hampstead...
Have alook at their website it's a mighty impressive facility [url="http://www.airstudios.com/"]Air Studios[/url]

• 5 months later...

A different album project, another studio
this time the artist is [url="http://www.sophiehiller.com/"]Sophie Hiller[/url] (backing vocalist for Tom Jones) the studio is the Church, formerly owned by Dave Stewart currently by David Gray... lovely place nice ambience, great piano.
It is a fabulous band.

[attachment=80325:IMG_0461.JPG]
my room...
[attachment=80326:IMG_0462.JPG]
my view...
[attachment=80327:IMG_0463.JPG]
Drums belonging to a very fine drummer Graham Cutill
in the distance [url="http://www.mattbacker.com/"]Matt Backer[/url] on gtr (great player with lovely vintage gear, '63 strat, early Gibson 335 and a 1940s Gibson acoustic)

[attachment=80328:IMG_0464.JPG]
on Piano (barely seen behind the screen) Rob Taggart, a really lovely player

[attachment=80333:243328_1...088274_o.jpg]
everyone

A really tremendous band. We had a lot of fun. 2 x 12 hour days, 8 songs all played live. 1 rehearsal.

Edited by jakesbass