Why become a member? ×

Faulty cab problem

lemmywinks

Ah great, i really like strong mids, as i'll most likely be using it with the Superfly i can eq out anything i don't like.

Goods news that the driver is a good choice for the cab, i'll be putting an order in at Blue Aran then!

Interparcel won't pay out until i show a receipt for replacement goods so i'll have to buy it first

Just a quick update, i got the Deltalite installed in this today and gave it a quick test. Sounds very deep and can go loud for the size of the cab, very clear sound which i'm really chuffed with. Cab is very light too!

What would be the best way to bed the driver in? I would like to use this at practice on Thursday and don't want to push it until i'm sure it's ok to do so

Cheers for all the help guys, also big props to John at EA (very helpful guy, even when it was clear i wasn't buying the recone kit off them) and great service from Blue Aran who upgraded the courier to next day for no extra charge (still unsure why but not complaining!)

No need to apologise marc, totally not your fault as the box was very well packed. I guess it's always one of those things which can happen and I really should have insured it for more but as it stands i'll get the £50 insurance and the driver wasn't much more. Kind of a blessing in disguise really as it's made the cab so light, about a third of the original weight!

I still can't believe just how much the original driver weighed when I removed it, the cabinet itself hardly weighs anything!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1050117' date='Dec 7 2010, 01:26 AM']What would be the best way to bed the driver in? I would like to use this at practice on Thursday and don't want to push it until i'm sure it's ok to do so[/quote]

Just feed some signal through it at medium volume with plenty of LF content. I used recorded music for a few hours on a Deltalite-loaded cab and it made a noticeable difference to the response, though it probably varies driver to driver. If you want to do it without making lots of noise, take the driver out of the cab first and wire it direct, just remember that you've got about 8mm peak-peak excursion to play with and you'll reach it at much lower power with the speaker out of the cab. Keep an eye on the cone as you turn it up though, and you'll be fine.

I expect if you don't bother doing this, then as long as you don't force the cab too hard the worst thing that would happen would be slightly crappy sound for the practice.

Ah cool, i played through it last night at moderate volume with the bass up on the eq (just to see how low it could go) and it didn't crap out, i have the day off work tomorrow so will get the opportunity to play for another hour or so

With a 4 month old baby in the house i don't get to make as much noise as i used to!

Cheers!

• 3 years later...

Just found this thread.. this afternoon's gigging lex to my CXL110 main driver failing. Sod's Law.. I just replaced the tweeter diaphragm one of the CXL112s.
John at EA was really helpful in the first case, so I'll drop him a line first to see if the options are still the same.
The 110 was my first EA cab bought used about 9 or 10 years ago and well gigged since, so I don't feel hard done by.

Although I never actually heard it with the original driver I would recommend using the Deltalite if that's an option purely down to the weight saving. I was quite lucky as Interparcel paid out the £50 insurance (once I had emailed them John Dong's advice and the receipt for the replacement speaker) so it only cost me around £20 get it working and shave most of the weight off.

The first thing I thought when I picked up the little cab was that it was much heavier than it looked, now it weighs a fraction of that and is still more than enough for rehearsals with a full band. It's been in regular use with the Deltalite for well over 3 years now and is still performing well, lovely little cab IMO.

Edited by lemmywinks

Cheers, chaps!
The weight is really no issue - surprisingly heavy for the size, but really not that much.
I'd prefer to keep the full range capability.. made a couple of phone calls, and was given the number for RMJ Loudspeakers, who do a full-on recone service. Roy is actually making a new coil from scratch; as he put it 'it'll be better put together than Eminence did it'!
http://recones.com/
Will let you know how it all goes.