Why become a member? ×

Barefaced 2x10 to match with Ampeg

ferg36

[quote name='ferg36' post='1041068' date='Nov 29 2010, 12:47 PM']Hi all,
I looking for a 2x10 cab to match with my Ampeg SVT 3 Pro that I have recently purchased, have you any recommendations on what I should go for?
Thanks Ferg[/quote]
Hi Ferg - Barefaced don't do a 2x10 cab, the closest to that configuration would be the 2x12 Super Twelve. However, with Barefaced cabs, the speaker configuration is of little importance in the grand scheme of things - better to decide what sort of tone you are after and then select the most appropriate cab, irrespective of what sized drivers it happens to have to get the job done.

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/which-barefaced.htm"]This might help you decide[/url]

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1041084' date='Nov 29 2010, 12:58 PM']Hi Ferg - Barefaced don't do a 2x10 cab, the closest to that configuration would be the 2x12 Super Twelve. However, with Barefaced cabs, the speaker configuration is of little importance in the grand scheme of things - better to decide what sort of tone you are after and then select the most appropriate cab, irrespective of what sized drivers it happens to have to get the job done.

[url="http://barefacedbass.com/which-barefaced.htm"]This might help you decide[/url][/quote]
Hi,
Many thanks for your reply. I play Country and Rock n Roll and would like a deep bass vintage tone
F

Is the 2x10 the size requirement? How loud does it need to be? If you are after the original Ampeg 8x10 sound (the one loaded with guitar drivers) and don't mind it being very quiet (there was a reason why it was 8x10) then you could just make a plain box to the measurements of one of the compartments in them and load it with either Jensen MOD10s or the Eminence drivers that are modern equivalent to the old 8x10 drivers (32ohm among other things) and that will be a soundalike.

'Deep' and 'vintage' don't really go together so well, vintage is all about midbass and no deep bass at all. Barefaced stuff tends toward uncoloured, wheras the 8x10 is very coloured.

Basically, why a 2x10? Because that is pretty severely limiting. I did email alex about getting a Vintage (now discontinued) and he replied mentioning a 8x10 functional equivalent is in the works, but it will be bigger than a 2x10.

Hi Ferg,

As Mr Snickers said the key is to look at the tone and loudness you need plus the bass, amp and your playing approach and that then determines the cab or not. I gather the SVT3 makes a lovely fat mellow sound with the Compact but isn't loud/aggressive enough for noisier environments, in which case I'd recommend a Midget/Compact stack or a Super Twelve. Let me know more precisely what your gig situation is (style, repertoire, venue sizes, what your drummer/guitarists are like) and then what your 'ideal' bass tone would be (YouTube clips or Amazon samples please!) plus what bass you play, and then I can point you in the right direction.

Best regards,

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1041481' date='Nov 29 2010, 06:37 PM']Hi Ferg,

As Mr Snickers said the key is to look at the tone and loudness you need plus the bass, amp and your playing approach and that then determines the cab or not. I gather the SVT3 makes a lovely fat mellow sound with the Compact but isn't loud/aggressive enough for noisier environments, in which case I'd recommend a Midget/Compact stack or a Super Twelve. Let me know more precisely what your gig situation is (style, repertoire, venue sizes, what your drummer/guitarists are like) and then what your 'ideal' bass tone would be (YouTube clips or Amazon samples please!) plus what bass you play, and then I can point you in the right direction.

Best regards,

Alex[/quote]
Thanks Alex will do and thanks to all who have replied