Why become a member? ×

Epifani epiphany

Martin E

Over the summer I acquired a pair of S/H Epifani UL112 cabs from two guys on here – both in used but good condition.

At home the cabs sounded good but with each I was unable to hear hardly any difference with the tweeters turned fully up or down. I initially put this down to my lack of HF hearing at my age and enforced domestic volume level.

Our band hasn't played for a few months and I first gigged with them only this last weekend. We played for about three hours at a fair old volume and I gave Epifani's their first good workout.

Plugging in the amp and speakers today at home for the first time since Saturday's gig I can't believe I'm hearing the same speakers. Loads of obvious treble from the tweeters in both cabs and a noticeable difference when turned up or down. They really sound fabulous now great slabs of bass if needed with a smooth treble over the top to add definition.

Surely they must have been 'broken in' by the previous owners so why should a good belting suddenly improve the sound quality? Can anyone explain this?