Why become a member? ×

Sending a bass overseas (UK to Finland)

Adee

Hiyeh !

I would like to send a bass to Finland
It will be securely packaged in it own fitted case as well as the mandatory buble wrap and cardboard wrapping etc

BUT . . . .

Who to use?
It must be insured for £1,500
and obviously be reliable

I've been through the list which is helpful but am struggling to find THE most suitable courier
Who has sent a bass recently?

Cheers,
Ade

[quote name='Adee' post='1051611' date='Dec 8 2010, 01:06 PM']Cheers seen the thread ta !

Any more for any more ?
Someone must have sent a bass insured to europe ?[/quote]

Yes. I've sent basses to France, Spain, Italy, and probably somewhere in the Nordics I've forgotten about, but I've never had to insure for anything like the figure you quoted. I always go to interparcel.com and pick the best deal from a global courier, usually UPS or Fedex. I use the cheaper non-guaranteed services, because they've never failed to pickup as arranged and never failed to deliver in a few days (depending on distance) without damage.

If you're going though interparcel, and quoting someone a shipping cost in advance, remember to add insurance and VAT to the initial price you get quoted on the site. If you want to know definitely how much insurance is, you'll have to go through the whole booking process up to the credit card bit and cancel out. Insuring to £500 was £10 last time I looked. For eBay sales I add another 10% for packing, fees and contingency.

I shipped a £2000 bass out to Basschatter Nobody's Perfect in Finland, nearly two years ago now. I shipped using the DHL road service which took three to 4 days to get there.
I arranged insurance separately via broker who used Norwich Union (Aviva now i think?) Was very easy to arrange the cover, a quick phone call and he mailed me the form to sign and fax back to him. The Insurance cost £55 in total and shipping was about £30, as I recall. Interparcel would be a good place to sort the courier - I used ParcelForce at the time

If your're interested I can dig out the details for the broker etc

Hope that helps

P