Why become a member? ×

BIG UP YERSELF !!

xilddx

We British are crap at this, we will bark and squeak at eachother and criticise others to our hearts are content, but when it comes to showing off our achievements we are undeniably CRAPOLA :)

Anyway, I'm wondering if you can express, when you look back at your achievements so far as a bassist and musician, if you feel proud of anything you've done. Have you realised you are actually a pretty decent musician, done things that have made you proud and bear scrutiny. Of course we are not comparing ourselves to JJ, or Flea, Mark King or Scott Thunes, but we can surely say we are proud of our bass playing to some degree at some point.

It's time to BIG UP YERSELF !!

Of course, I can't possibly start by saying anything about myself, because it will look like I have a lack of humility and being arrogant, so over to you :lol: :)

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1051115' date='Dec 7 2010, 11:39 PM']Of course, I can't start possibly by saying anything about myself, because it will look like I have a lack of humility and being arrogant, so over to you :) :)[/quote]

That will probably apply to most of us but it will be intetersting to keep an eye on this thread.

[quote name='silddx' post='1051115' date='Dec 7 2010, 10:39 PM']We British are crap at this, we will bark and squeak at eachother and criticise others to our hearts are content, but when it comes to showing off our achievements we are undeniably CRAPOLA :lol:

Anyway, I'm wondering if you can express, when you look back at your achievements so far as a bassist and musician, if you feel proud of anything you've done. Have you realised you are actually a pretty decent musician, done things that have made you proud and bear scrutiny. Of course we are not comparing ourselves to JJ, or Flea, Mark King or Scott Thunes, but we can surely say we are proud of our bass playing to some degree at some point.

It's time to BIG UP YERSELF !!

Of course, I can't start possibly by saying anything about myself, because it will look like I have a lack of humility and being arrogant, so over to you :lol: :D[/quote]

With regards the second paragraph, uh, well, um, no ,no, no, no and no. I refer the honorable gentlemen to the statement in my sig :P

Also you're bl00dy spelling is awful :D

YERSELF? I thought you'd started a thread about Cat Stevens and misspelled his second name :) And as for CRAPOLA, if I spell check that the closest I get is CRAYOLA :)

:lol::D

Edited by Marvin

I've always wanted to write & record a concept album - a full-blown prog-rock magnum opus with themes, lyrical & instrumental leitmotifs, extended multi-part compositions and lots of incomprehensible time signatures . And I have - well, me & my lovely singist partner have. And I think it's f@cking amazing. I also think I played some pretty good bass on it too. :)

[spoiler]However - I am British, therefore it's very difficult for me to find & maintain a sense of perspective about this. It occurs to me it's probably absurd, over-reaching and too ambitious for its own good, and that most people would think it was ridiculous, and crap. So underneath the sense of pride & achievement, I can't help having a sneaking feeling that it's really the Top Gear of progressive rock - ambitious but rubbish. :) [/spoiler]

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1051190' date='Dec 8 2010, 12:38 AM']I've always wanted to write & record a concept album - a full-blown prog-rock magnum opus with themes, lyrical & instrumental leitmotifs, extended multi-part compositions and lots of incomprehensible time signatures . And I have - well, me & my lovely singist partner have. And I think it's f@cking amazing. I also think I played some pretty good bass on it too. :)

[spoiler]However - I am British, therefore it's very difficult for me to find & maintain a sense of perspective about this. It occurs to me it's probably absurd, over-reaching and too ambitious for its own good, and that most people would think it was ridiculous, and crap. So underneath the sense of pride & achievement, I can't help having a sneaking feeling that it's really the Top Gear of progressive rock - ambitious but rubbish. :) [/spoiler]

Jon.[/quote]

Any chance of a listen? :lol:

I'll be one of the few to post something I'm actually proud of I suppose, grade 5 theory (it's a few years old).

I'm proud of playing at Glastonbury and T in the Park. I'm proud of playing on channel 4 twice, all by the age of 20. I'm not proud of the fact I still feel like it was the strength of the musicians I was playing with on all occasions that got me there! I suppose there is some skill in being in the right place at the right time...

I'm still a better sound engineer than a bassist, and I cant see that ever changing, however I'm proud of a couple of basslines I've come up with, albeit a while ago and that no one else would probably like them :)

Thats it Nigel, now I've got to spend a whole day self-deprecating to make up for this dreadful outpouring of overblown pretension....

:)

The old bassist of the band I recently joined approached me at a gig, and told me that I could play better than him. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside because I actually regard him as a fairly good player and was fairly nervous about playing in front of him!

...Though to be honest I still think he just couldn't hear me properly :)

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1051190' date='Dec 8 2010, 12:38 AM']I've always wanted to write & record a concept album - a full-blown prog-rock magnum opus with themes, lyrical & instrumental leitmotifs, extended multi-part compositions and lots of incomprehensible time signatures . And I have - well, me & my lovely singist partner have. And I think it's f@cking amazing. I also think I played some pretty good bass on it too. :lol:]

Jon.[/quote]
I too would be really up for a listen to this (yes, really). You'd get an honest constructive opinion. :)

As hard as I've tried, I just cannot blow my own trumpet. :)

[quote name='charic' post='1051299' date='Dec 8 2010, 08:29 AM']Any chance of a listen? :)[/quote]
There's a short (only 10 minutes!) compilation of excerpts on my band's [url="http://www.myspace.com/maya29band"]Myspace[/url]. Technically the album's not finished yet - my programming & cack-handed 6-stringery need to be replaced by a proper drummer & guitarist, and there are still some song-linking narrative/atmospheric parts to be finalised. But hell might freeze over before that happens - which appears to be the nature of relying on other people. :)

J.

I think I'm an average bassist (just). But it's nice when other band members say it's good to have a brilliant bassist (or something along those lines) & I've had this in a few bands.

I've come up with some basslines that I love playing too. Some of which really push my ability as a bassist & sometimes live we play faster than normal & can really be a workout for me (funny enough, I was considering making a post bout a couple of these).

I was talking to a bloke last week and mentioned to him that I played a "bit" of bass . He asked me what was the best gig I played , after 5 minutes of humming and hawing all I could come up with was I played the Dublin Castle twice in the 90's I think that says all you need to know about my bass acheivments to date :)

I've felt much better about my playing after the last few gigs I've been too.
Granted some of the players may have been better technically than me. I've witnessed some overplaying and underplaying but not much of the feel for the song and dynamics I put in.

This being egotistical lark is fun.