Why become a member? ×

Am I Mad?

dan670844

Am I mad? probably....... but do you amp fixers think this is possible, there are many mods you can make, to make these into uber cool little recording amps for recording guitar. I have a V3 version in the studio doing nothing, as we now have a laney lionheart L5 for this sort of thing, which is an amazing little amp and in a totally different league to the valve jnr.

But Rather than prop open the studio door when we are moving heavy stuff in an out could it be made into a bass amp.......????

Obviously the output transformer needs to be changed, a popular choice that people make is,a hammond 12ESE, with these low end only goes down to 100Hz so no good, you would probably need to run an ultra linear hammond something like a 1627, 1620, 1630, give you 20-20khz required

I know companies like Rat amps mod these and put a 6V6 tube in, better low end. It has stock a silicon rectifier, which would be ok as its class A i.e always drawing current so no benefit for lobbing a valve rectifier in to get old school sag ( I think silicon is better myself)
What about chucking a ECC82 instead of the ECC83 to get less pre amp gain, or what about a E88CC you tnd to get better tighter bass and a bigger sound stage with these?

Then what about putting a simple tone stack in, like the circuit out of a an Ampeg B15N, Selmer, I.e. just treble and bass.

It would be cool to have a little valve bass amp of 5 to 10 watts, sure we have the Ashdown little B, lovely amp, but its actually blinking loud and dare i say it too loud if you a looking to record live old school bass via speaker tubes i.e. when the output valves are compressing just before break up i.e The Early John Mcvie sound.

But wouldn't it be cool for noodling bedroom, practice room, studio, if you could have one of these modded, you can pic them up for about £90 new even less second hand.

Isn't it time we had this us Bass players, Guitards (I can say this I am both!) have all the fun!

Edited by dan670844

You probably don't need the OT going that low, not much useful content down there once the valves are driving. Best thing is to have a preamp level out wound into the OT so you can run driven power valve into an external amp. I reckon if you have enough enthusiasm for the idea, you can have [url="http://www.chambonino.com"]John Chambers[/url] wind a suitable tranny for ya, might cost though.