Why become a member? ×

GB Rumour Can It Finger Funk as well as Noodle

NowVertical

Last year I went to Bernie's on a whim and came home with a KSD 60's J Bass, 5 String 35" Scale. It has been a great bass which I think has allowed my technique to improve.

The trouble was that whilst I spent the whole afternoon at Bernie's (actually my partner called me at 8.00pm to remind me I had a home to go to, Bernie really is that easy a guy to get along with) I had the opportunity to play on a Rumour 5 (I won't tell you who's just in case I get Bernie into trouble) and it really has left a lasting impression. Since then I have had the chance to play a 4 string Spitfire and another Rumour 5. Each time I play them I just find myself grinning.

So I am thinking about selling everything apart from my Upright and Fretless P+J and getting one from Bernie.

Getting to the point...I have only had the opportunity to play solo on these basses (fantastic action, clarity, tone, harmonics...just wow) never in the context of a mix. So are there any Rumour players out there who have tried them in a:

70's Jazz Funk context (i.e. Headhunters, Parliament, Tower of Power) - Can you tweak near to a Fender Jazz (playing over the bridge pick up) out of the active board that sits in the mix?
Dub Context (i.e. Robbie Shakespeare) - Can you rumble with the rest of them
Latin Context (Samba/Salsa)/Jazz Swing- Clarity yet weight?
Rock/Metal - I do the odd dep that requires me to pull out the inner 18 year old.

As much as I love to noodle at home, my bread and butter playing and main musical interests is not gonna be flash except for the odd fill, I need to know from those in the know whether this can really be my only fretted bass and that it put's weight down in a mix.

Any opinions would really be appreciated.

Cheers

I've never had a problem but I only play in a 3 piece and not such a wide range of genres. Not sure if a GB would be the ideal bass for rock/metal but I would expect it to cut the mustard otherwise.

Even with rock/metal it would depend on what style you were playing. Im sure it would be great for Ox/Sheehan type playing.

NV

I have a Rumour IV (and a standard IV) which I had built in 2003. I currently play in 4 bands (2 only occasionally), 2 of which are gigging covers/function bands. As such I play stuff as diverse as you could imagine including current chart stuff, 80s Disco/Electro, Classic Rock/Pop, 70s funk and soul etc etc - I can honestly say that I'm quite happy to use the Rumour on every gig knowing that it gives me the tones I need - add to that it's the most comfortable bass to play (and wear) and you can't really go wrong - like I say I've had mine since 2003 and love it, best bass I've ever owned (I won't give you the list!)

On top of all that Bernie is just the nicest guy to deal with - top man, top basses!!

Cheers
Dave

Thanks for your comments. It just adds a bit more reassurance. To be honest I have pretty much persuaded myself and will be taking the plunge very soon, perhaps even this weekend?

Dave - Comfort was one of things I loved so much about the Rumour, it just felt right. I love jazz/precision bass tones but I never really get comfortable with them, even with my fretless precsion (despite the comfort I love the tone so much I will put up with it).

So comfort, coupled with playability...almost effortless although still with expression...and an originals band that has opened up its influences allowing the occaional journey to the dusty end which the rumour I was playing just seemed to excel at has brought about this decision.

In an ideal world I would keep my KSD 5 as well to cover off my Jazz tone love but I still make pocket money out of gigging and I've a lot of learning (read years/if ever)/networking to do before I could justify that big a toolkit.

Not only is Bernie a nice fellow, he really is genuinely still excitable about basses and is a damn good player himself...makes me feel like I have along long way to go. I suppose that is another reason that I am willing to trust the outlay on a single bass...I really do think they are made with passion.

Thanks

NV

P.S I will be posting up a KSD 5 60's Proto J, a Status Energy 6 string, Westone Thunder 1a, Peavey Foundation 4, Bass Pod xt, Guitar port and anything else not chained to the walls in the next week or two.

P.P.S I just realised this is my first post since the move from Bassworld where I used to be reasonably active. It seems I have only been a lurker on Basschat up until now...so Hi there!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='121863' date='Jan 17 2008, 12:09 AM']Thought I recognised the name.

Buy with confidence. Dont forget choice of woods makes a significant difference to the sound. My swamp ash fretless Spitfire was built first and foremost to be light, but it sings like no other bass I hae ever played.[/quote]

+1

They are stunning and I am pretty sure you will not be dissapointed. They are beasts. The EQ, as stated, is well powerful so you have bags of room to move in terms of cutting through the mix. Remember, the circuit can also be tweaked to taste so if something is not quite right, you can address this. To be honest though, the latest incarnation of the rumour circuit is fantastic.

PS - if you aren't going to go for the exotic woods and looking to bring costs down, I saw a Rumour that has recently been sent out to Holland. Completely black and it look magic (nice touch that he replaced the red flashing light on the preamp with a blue one...)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='122252' date='Jan 17 2008, 03:41 PM']PS - if you aren't going to go for the exotic woods and looking to bring costs down, I saw a Rumour that has recently been sent out to Holland. Completely black and it look magic (nice touch that he replaced the red flashing light on the preamp with a blue one...)[/quote]
I've got a blue one as well - matches my blue LED's.

Agree with all the above, I happened upon a Spitfire built for some shows as a showpiece and as such I believe got a bargain as it wasn't custom built for me, but wow what a machine all the best woods and tronics and a beauty to boot, have no fear, just sold my Lakland DPLE1 which i said i would never do, the GB is indeed a one trick pony as it does all the tricks in the book, you will need no other bass. I have however a nagging feeling that she may be too nice to take to some rough old pub do's if you know what I mean.......wheres my cheap bass?

Just got in from rehearsal...a few pints from the pub helped the evening along nicely.

As with my current basses this is gonna be played every day, rehearsed three times a week, gigged every two weeks or so. I do not want to feel in any way like I have to treat it with kid gloves as if it was a museum piece. That includes having to risk the odd dink at a pub gig...don't get me wrong I love and value any venue with an appreciative audience, it's just where there is clutter in a confined space (two of my bands are seven pieces) there is more risk.

As well as keeping costs down, I hope a simple finish will make me treat it like all my basses. Plus I think there is aesthetic value in good workmanship displayed in its simplest form.

I am gonna have to rely heavily on Bernie's word for wood choice. I have never taken any notice of the type of wood used in previous bases (I never thought to keep notes), I can take the bases I own and explain what it is I like about the sounds and hopefully he can advise on appropriate choices.

This is quite an outlay, but I know people who spend a lot more on a flash car and then only use for them for the 10 minute drive to work and back (get on your bike). If I can buy a bass now that increases my joy of playing, allows me to try things I could not really pull off before and lasts me a good few years then it just seems to make sense to me.

Anyway I better start reading up about wood types for the body, neck and board so I'm better informed.

Cheers

[quote name='NowVertical' post='122572' date='Jan 18 2008, 12:52 AM']Just got in from rehearsal...a few pints from the pub helped the evening along nicely.

As with my current basses this is gonna be played every day, rehearsed three times a week, gigged every two weeks or so. I do not want to feel in any way like I have to treat it with kid gloves as if it was a museum piece. That includes having to risk the odd dink at a pub gig...don't get me wrong I love and value any venue with an appreciative audience, it's just where there is clutter in a confined space (two of my bands are seven pieces) there is more risk.

As well as keeping costs down, I hope a simple finish will make me treat it like all my basses. Plus I think there is aesthetic value in good workmanship displayed in its simplest form.

I am gonna have to rely heavily on Bernie's word for wood choice. I have never taken any notice of the type of wood used in previous bases (I never thought to keep notes), I can take the bases I own and explain what it is I like about the sounds and hopefully he can advise on appropriate choices.

This is quite an outlay, but I know people who spend a lot more on a flash car and then only use for them for the 10 minute drive to work and back (get on your bike). If I can buy a bass now that increases my joy of playing, allows me to try things I could not really pull off before and lasts me a good few years then it just seems to make sense to me.

Anyway I better start reading up about wood types for the body, neck and board so I'm better informed.

Cheers[/quote]

It sounds like you have already decided. Get down Bernies - he'll build exactly what you want. If you are going for solid colours, what are you looking at? I must admit, if I was going for a Rumour, I would go for the black, white or that shocking blue he does (not the daphne blue one - but the one which is currently on loan to Micheal Choi)