Why become a member? ×

Now i have some money there's nothing i want!!

CHRISDABASS

The danger is that the cash will burn a hole in your pocket and you'll just fritter it away on stuff you don't really need but buy on a whim.

Just like I did - sold two basses and a guitar in the last couple of months. Do I have any cash left? Nope.

Thats whats best. I've turned my nose up at about three basses this month that I would have bought in a second 6 months ago, when I had considerably less cash saved than I have now. Spending it on basses is just a circular thing, and finding the bass that really makes you overjoyed is a fairly rare thing. I'd rather keep it and just enjoy the basses I have at the moment, which are the best I've ever had!

I know the feeling! I'm a lot better off now than I was a few months ago - but all I've bought is a bargain GK 700RB combo & a 2x10 cab. I don't want or need any other bass gear, & would have to shift a bass or two to clear space in the event I had an unanticipated GAS attack. I have to sell all my old backline as it is, so I'm just going to end up with a bigger GAS fund & nothing to spend it on.

Well - nothing bassy anyway. I quite fancy [url="http://www.eagleeyefilms.com/gallery/d/11395-2/triumph_speed_triple_08-02.jpg"]one of these[/url]. :)

aND A cAPS lOCK kEY.

Jon.

I think it's a classic side effect of GAS. We want things because we can't afford them. Once you have the cash often you realise that you don't need that extra bass. I don't want for any basses right now but suddenly this week I've been GASing for a huge Orange Rig that I don't need or can't justify. A little bit like indigestion, I hope it'll pass.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1065989' date='Dec 21 2010, 06:20 PM']I think it's a classic side effect of GAS. We want things because we can't afford them. Once you have the cash often you realise that you don't need that extra bass. I don't want for any basses right now but suddenly this week I've been GASing for a huge Orange Rig that I don't need or can't justify. A little bit like indigestion, I hope it'll pass.[/quote]
+1 This week I have been gassing for a fretless Wal, lord knows why - maybe its my hero worship of Bilbo :) Actually its because I have been listening to Percy Jones and because the neck on my fretless Jazz is a little too narrow for my hands. Next week there will be something else (my recurring GAS is for a Tony Franklin fretless in 3TS)!

Edited by Clarky

I was in exactly the same situation a few weeks ago and started an almost identical thread.

I take it you have a bass at the moment? if so i would just stick the money into a seperate account to your current (one without a card so you cant spend it easily) and just leave it sitting there until you find a bass that you cant live without. I find when I have saved money to spend on a bass I get a lot more picky about whether I actually 'need' it and my brain says "money in the bank or bass" money in the bank usually wins.

The other question is, if you have absss at the moment and you sold you others, why did you keep that one? maybe that is the bass for you and you dont actually need another. I noticed you sold a couple of Sadowskys and presume you are looking at instruments in the same price bracket or higher? maybe look at some cheaper basses and get 2 which is what I am going to do.

I went through some expensive high end basses and am now back with a good old Fender USA and never been happier. I managed to hang on to some money and may get a Precision or Stingray in the new year, but at the moment I am a happy boy with a Fender and a Squier. I would never have thought I would say that!

[quote name='NJE' post='1066430' date='Dec 22 2010, 08:35 AM']I was in exactly the same situation a few weeks ago and started an almost identical thread.

I take it you have a bass at the moment? if so i would just stick the money into a seperate account to your current (one without a card so you cant spend it easily) and just leave it sitting there until you find a bass that you cant live without. I find when I have saved money to spend on a bass I get a lot more picky about whether I actually 'need' it and my brain says "money in the bank or bass" money in the bank usually wins.

The other question is, if you have absss at the moment and you sold you others, why did you keep that one? maybe that is the bass for you and you dont actually need another. I noticed you sold a couple of Sadowskys and presume you are looking at instruments in the same price bracket or higher? maybe look at some cheaper basses and get 2 which is what I am going to do.

I went through some expensive high end basses and am now back with a good old Fender USA and never been happier. I managed to hang on to some money and may get a Precision or Stingray in the new year, but at the moment I am a happy boy with a Fender and a Squier. I would never have thought I would say that![/quote]

I had three Sadowsky's, sold the two that were worth the most so i could generate the most cash :)

It turns out the one ive kept is easily as good as the ones ive sold and is in the perfect wood combo for the sound i like.

Im quite happy to stick with one bass for a while to be honest :)

This time Im not gonna try and get something better than my current bass, just different! The idea is to find a great back up bass that inspires me with new sounds etc

The Big Al bass is high on my list (if only somewhere actually had them in stock!!!)

:lol:

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1065738' date='Dec 21 2010, 03:03 PM']Strange isnt it, when ur skint there's loads of basses you'd kill to own in the for sale section!

Now that ive sold a few basses off and finally have the cash there's nothing i want!

Why???

Grrrrrrr!! Lol[/quote]
There's no pleasing some people!

You're in a good situation - you have no need to buy anything unless it meets your needs, and if it does, you have the cash to get it. Don't get stressed about it, enjoy your shopping experience :)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1066548' date='Dec 22 2010, 10:45 AM']The Big Al bass is high on my list (if only somewhere actually had them in stock!!!)

:)[/quote]

Darren at the Bass Merchant has a very pretty blue one/matching headstock last time I checked if you need to try one out to see if you like it. :)

I reckon you need another Sadowsky NYC but a P instead of a J - I hear there's a nice dakota red one with matching headstock and a custom neck profile coming up for sale soon. . . :)

In all seriousness though - if you're happy with what you've got then I'd just stick with it for a while & see how you get on with just one bass.

The big thing, as others have said, is not to splash the money on stuff you don't need whilst you're thinking about the next possible purchase :)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1066751' date='Dec 22 2010, 01:22 PM']just bought this as it was too much of a good deal to resist :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130426540979&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_719wt_1141"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...T#ht_719wt_1141[/url][/quote]

Oh yes....YES. Beautiful. Great choice, and now there are 3 of us in the UK Big Al BassChat club. Me, you and Primebass.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1066842' date='Dec 22 2010, 02:52 PM']Looks great ey!! :) cant wait to get my hands on it!! Just the shipping to worry about now![/quote]

And watch out for those import duties!

I've used both USPS & FedEx for shipping from the USA recently, both worked fine with advantages / disadvantages to each :)