Why become a member? ×

Never thought i would end the year with the same model bass

dave_bass5

Its just dawned on me that i started this year (NYE gig) playing my old and hardly ever used HW-1 Jazz, mainly because i didn't like any of my other basses at the time (including my Lakalnd DJ5 PJ).
This bass hadn't been used for a few years as i didnt "think" i liked it but couldn't be bothered to sell it.
I got rid of it not long afterwards for a Sub, then sold it, I got a Lakland Duck Dunn then sold it (a bit too quickly IMO), a SBMM Ray34 then sold it, tried to get a MIA Jazz (had 3 sent 3 back), had a MIM 70's Jazz, sent it back, got a Squier CV Jazz and was happy with that for a while but still ended up buying a HW-one Jazz and i love it. I've also got a CV P and love that just as much and plan on alternating between the two next year when the mood takes me.

Ill be using the HW-one at this years NYE gig.
Funny old world. I would never had thought i would buy a Jazz again after the DJ5. I guess it just shows its not the bass, but the person, mood, time of the month, GAS etc that dictates these things.

Im actually going out of this year happy in the fact that i dont really want anything esle at the moment, at least not bass wise.

2011 will be the year i probably give up my MB SA450 and get something smaller like a TC head. I know there are a few for sale but im skint at the moment and im starting to come to my senses about the difference between "want" and need".
I only need one bass, im happy that i now have a good P and a good Jazz, plus i still have the CVJ that i want to get de fretted at some point.
I do know i need a new amp head thats smaller than my SA450, but ill probably not make a move on that until i do actually need it (that will be when i get some dep work with my other band, who knows when that will be) or can afford it.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, have a happy Christmas all.

:) when you have something that more than does the job..the rest is idle GAS.

Not looking to change anything....but when I have a spare few hundred, I'll get a few more cabs, probably.

But I don't need anything...and if I finish next year with the same kit, then no problem there at all

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1066611' date='Dec 22 2010, 11:39 AM']tried to get a MIA Jazz (had 3 sent 3 back), had a MIM 70's Jazz, sent it back, got a Squier CV Jazz and was happy with that for a while but still ended up buying a HW-one Jazz and i love it.[/quote]

What was wrong with the 4 jazzes that you sent back and is the Squier better than all of them and the HW One even better again ?

[quote name='redstriper' post='1067077' date='Dec 22 2010, 06:55 PM']What was wrong with the 4 jazzes that you sent back and is the Squier better than all of them and the HW One even better again ?[/quote]

The Squier is a lovely bass but it doesn't have the growl ive been looking for since i got rid of my HW1. I thought i could get it with a pup change but that didnt work.
So i went looking fora bass with a different tone, but still a Jazz.
The first was the 70s classic. It had a raised 11th fret. It was pretty bad. I also didnt get on with the neck but thats not why i sent it back.
The 3 MIA had QC issues (that no other basses ive owned have had), including gaps under some of the frets.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97047&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97047&hl=[/url][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97047&hl="]PUP issues[/url]

So,knowing that i liked, or rather missed the HW1 tone the obvious choice was a new HW-one. Even that has a raised fret but its so far up the neck that its not a issue for me. It does have that lovely growl though.

The Squier CVP was supposed to be a cheap way for me ot get to grips with a P neck but its such a nice bass that im using it as my main bass on some gigs.

Compared to some of the higher end bases ive had over the past few years im a lot happier with the ones i now have, and they are all a lot cheaper.

I've done all my electric bass shows this year on 2 basses and it would have just been one but I'd lent one to a US band who were touring so when we did a couple of shows with them I used the one I'd lent out. After a few years of GAS I never thought I'd get back to that stage and it felt good :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1067108' date='Dec 22 2010, 07:13 PM']The Squier is a lovely bass but it doesn't have the growl ive been looking for since i got rid of my HW1. I thought i could get it with a pup change but that didnt work.
So i went looking fora bass with a different tone, but still a Jazz.
The first was the 70s classic. It had a raised 11th fret. It was pretty bad. I also didnt get on with the neck but thats not why i sent it back.
The 3 MIA had QC issues (that no other basses ive owned have had), including gaps under some of the frets.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97047&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97047&hl=[/url][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97047&hl="]PUP issues[/url]

So,knowing that i liked, or rather missed the HW1 tone the obvious choice was a new HW-one. Even that has a raised fret but its so far up the neck that its not a issue for me. It does have that lovely growl though.

The Squier CVP was supposed to be a cheap way for me ot get to grips with a P neck but its such a nice bass that im using it as my main bass on some gigs.

Compared to some of the higher end bases ive had over the past few years im a lot happier with the ones i now have, and they are all a lot cheaper.[/quote]
Dave,
I just read your thread about the MIA jazz bass problems and it put me right off buying one, (not that I can really afford one anyway).
I'm looking for a new jazz bass to replace my old heavy one that has been my only bass for 30 years.
I want it to be as light as possible, with thin frets, low action and fast rosewood board.
I'm not looking for growl or zing, just smooth deep bass from the neck pup which is the only one I normally use.
I don't mind where it was made and the cheaper the better.
From what you have said, it sounds like the Squier CV might be my best bet, or possibly the MIM classic 60s.
Would you agree ?
Steve.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1067276' date='Dec 22 2010, 10:11 PM']I agree with the MIA Jazz problems. Either the UK have had a poor batch or the new qc is now failing! Same with Laklands...damn annoying.

I still want a Jazz but I'm giving up.[/quote]

still not persuaded by the Roadworn jazz Gareth?

[quote name='redstriper' post='1067266' date='Dec 22 2010, 10:00 PM']Dave,
I just read your thread about the MIA jazz bass problems and it put me right off buying one, (not that I can really afford one anyway).
I'm looking for a new jazz bass to replace my old heavy one that has been my only bass for 30 years.
I want it to be as light as possible, with thin frets, low action and fast rosewood board.
I'm not looking for growl or zing, just smooth deep bass from the neck pup which is the only one I normally use.
I don't mind where it was made and the cheaper the better.
From what you have said, it sounds like the Squier CV might be my best bet, or possibly the MIM classic 60s.
Would you agree ?
Steve.[/quote]

That sounds exactly like the CV Jazz.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1067301' date='Dec 22 2010, 10:32 PM']That sounds exactly like the CV Jazz.[/quote]

Thanks, I was hoping you'd say that cos I'm a cheapskate !
There is one for sale on here now, but when I asked for the weight, the seller said 15 Lbs which is 4.5 Lbs more than my old bass.
I'm sure they vary in weight and hopefully I'll find one more like 9 Lbs.

[quote name='redstriper' post='1067310' date='Dec 22 2010, 10:51 PM']Thanks, I was hoping you'd say that cos I'm a cheapskate !
There is one for sale on here now, but when I asked for the weight, the seller said 15 Lbs which is 4.5 Lbs more than my old bass.
I'm sure they vary in weight and hopefully I'll find one more like 9 Lbs.[/quote]

If that 15lb is accurate I'd be very surprised, basswood is not generally a heavy wood. Unless that high mass bridge is in fact depleted uranium.