Why become a member? ×

Speaker cab help

mr_russ

Hi all, after the purchase of a GK1001RB mk2 I find myself wanting to upgrade my rig in its entirety.

I currently have a single markbass front ported 2x10- which is an excellent cab- I've used it for gigs over the past 3 or so years without complaint.

It was folly for me to assume that my main originals band would be that much quieter on stage due to the lack of a drummer - it is in fact the direct opposite, Instead of competing with even a heavy handed beast of a drummer, I'm going toe to toe with some bloody huge sequenced drums and electronic beats.

I now want a huge chest pounding level of low end- my SR5 HH is more than capable of it (+ I love the tone options available), as is my new head-

I've been mulling over the following possibilities

1-keep my 2x10 and buy a new 4x10 or 1x15 (8ohm) to go with it - It would need to be 350/400w rms +
I've not had much luck with 15's, finding them a bit muddy overall- I'd like to be proved wrong though.

2-sell my 2x10 and buy a 4 ohm cab of at least 700w rms- I've been looking at 4x10's (GK 410 RBH, MB 4x10, Ampeg 4x10 HLF) 6x10's (Warwick 611 pro, ampeg 610 hlf, swr goliath senior) and the rather lovely looking GK neo 4x12.

3- sell my 2x10 and buy two 8 ohm cabs totaling about 7/800w rms

I have around £300 + my mb 2x10 to use in trades if need be - so lets assume I have £600 to spend.

Either way, I need a huge amount of bass, but it also needs to be pretty clear- a tweeter or horn in at least one cab would be a necessity. The portability of a modular 2 cab rig is looking more practical at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated-

Cheers!

Russ

Hey russ, Im in an elctro/metal situation myself, so i have a barbarian AND a thumping robot to compete against and it sure as hell aint easy!

What i would suggest is to get 2x 210's stacked on there sides and get the cabs as close to ear level as you can. Maybe three little aggie 112's? Getting the speakers close to your ear really makes the world of difference IME!

[quote name='ste_m3' post='122084' date='Jan 17 2008, 11:54 AM']Hey russ, Im in an elctro/metal situation myself, so i have a barbarian AND a thumping robot to compete against and it sure as hell aint easy!

What i would suggest is to get 2x 210's stacked on there sides and get the cabs as close to ear level as you can. Maybe three little aggie 112's? Getting the speakers close to your ear really makes the world of difference IME![/quote]

indeed, I used to have 2 of these mb 2x10s positioned like that- I have considered trying to buy another, or a mb 1x15/1x12

Russ, if you want a huge amount of bass you will need a big cab, there's no way around it. As you're a fellow Brightonian I could possibly build something for you within budget that will do a better job than any similarly priced commercial cab but it depends how much of a hurry you're in! A modular approach is viable but it will cost more to get the same performance as one big cab.

Alex