Why become a member? ×

Rig Advice - Markbass and Warwick

Dr_Tom

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on here so forgive me if I miss out on any etiquette, I shall try and learn quickly.

Basically as the title of the post says I am looking at changing my rig and wanted a bit of advice on what I have been looking at.

Firstly I shall tell you what I have now:

Bass: Fender Mexican Standard Jazz & Musicman S.U.B

Head: Warwick X-treme 5.1

Cabs: Warwick Pro 1x15 and Ashdown MAG 2x10

With the exception of my jazz I have had all this gear for what must be 4 or 5 years now, if not longer. I was previously in a Morrissey tribute band and we did a lot of gigging up and down the country and it was absolutely perfect for what I needed and I love the sound.

I left that band about a year and a half ago now, and didn't do much until this september just gone. I am now part of an original band around Stoke-on-Trent and we have been doing a lot of gigs, both local pub and club gigs and then some bigger venues further afield.

The problem has come now that I really cannot be bother hauling around all that gear. I have calculated in total that my rig weighs about 74kg and I am knackered before we even start playing, as I am sure many of you will also experience. As such I have just been using my Ashdown 2x10, which is more than enough on its own for pubs and clubs, and then any bigger venues I get DI'd into the PA anyhow.

My need now is to upgrade to some of the new lighter neodynium speakers and maybe a digital head.

What I have been looking at currently is the Markbass stuff. I had a play on a Markbass F1 head with the Markbass club 2x10 cab and I was really really impressed with the sound, I couldn't really tell much different from my current gear.

I'm thinking maybe either the Markbass F1 or F500, with either the Traveller 2x10 and 1x15 cabs or the Club 2x10 and 1x15 cabs. Either combination comes to 34kg! I can carry all that in one go it would be bliss.

Just wondering if anyone thinks this is a decent change of gear or I would be stupid to change from what I have now to the stuff I said above?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, trouble is, as always, money. Its looking like I would have to start by part-exing in my 1x15 cab for one of the new cabs and leave my 2x10 just in case we do a big venue, then change the other cab and finally change the head.

Sorry for going on for a bit!

Cheers in advance

Tom

As long as you liked the sound then the Markbass is as good as any out there - they use decent drivers and plywood for their cabs, and their failure rate is supposedly pretty low. Other people will surely be along with alternative suggestions but once you're at that quality level it's just a matter of personal taste IMO.

Personally, I'd go with 2 club 102s. Avoids mixing speaker sizes.

Just looking at the specs of those club cabs, 13kg! Could lift 2 of those with one finger!!!

The 102HF is the cabs that I would go for (better on paper anyway) but it is heavier 19.6kg.

Hi Dr_Tom

You are certainly not the first to look at the gear that has served you well for years and yearn for something less heavy!

What you will also find on this forum is that many members will advise you to consider using exactly what they use! There is wisdom in such a recommendation, as it usually means that they have tried many of the alternatives themselves and therefore you can potentially benefit from their experiences (and mistakes!).

There are a few manufacturers that do 'lightweight' cabs, and you will hear people on here singing the praises of one whilst slagging off the others. Unfortunately, the only pattern to these thoughts is that there is no pattern. So this is where it comes down to your own ears, back and wallet!

If I was you, I certainly wouldn't buy brand new, but take advantage of the gear for sale threads on this very forum. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=20[/url] Not only are there some great deals to be had, but you can also pick the brains of the people who are doing the selling. Why did that particular set-up not work for them? If you can find members close to where you live, you may even be able to arrange to try out their gear to help make up your mind - that's the kind of forum this is! From memory, there are several members close to Stoke (didn't you say that you were in Stoke?), at least one of whom works in a music shop... PeteAcademy?

Oh yes, before I go.... Maybe have a look at the BareFacedBass range? :)

Edited by Conan

My rig consist of - Mark bass F1 3kg
Barefaced compact 13 or 14kg?
Schoelder mini 12 l under 9kg
SA450 back up amp!!

Can recomend all of the above, for a versitile powerful very useable modular rig that is silly light!! I take the f1 and 1x12 out under 12kg total weight and produces a great sound with bags of volume.

Edited by patch006

[quote name='Dr_Tom' post='1070983' date='Dec 28 2010, 02:36 PM']electronic stuff as well..... Just need to get down to a few music shops and have a play![/quote]

Spot on! The TC gear is not as light as some other stuff, but does seem to be pretty well regarded by those that use it. Good call.

Have you ever considered a 1 x 12"?

I run a GS112 with a Markbass LMIII and total weight is 22kgs (Cab is 19kgs and LMIII is just under 3kgs!)

IMO the perfect rig. Light, LOUD, compact, warm and full, responsive and it's great fun watching people's face when they realise how much air it can push!

Edited by skej21

Cabs, whatever floats your boat, consider Bareface (the SuperTwelve is really punchy the BigOne is enormous but requires a fair bit of grunt), if you have the dough then Bergantino are incredible, honestly the best sounding cabs I've ever played through, they'd have to be for me to buy one considering the cost!

Before you buy though, get your amp, and try the cab with your amp. A/B against the current rig if possible.

Markbass amps are great, the F1 is considered cleaner and 'quicker' than the LMII/sa450 derivatives, ehich are warmer (almost a clean tube warnmth) and just beautiful sounding IMO.

You are definitely doing the right thing IMO, of course many will say they have tried this and ending going back to the heavy kit...

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' post='1071181' date='Dec 28 2010, 07:07 PM']...many will say they have tried this and ending going back to the heavy kit...[/quote]

And that's where personal preference comes into the equation. It all depends on what you wish to sound like and how strong you are. If the tone that you desire can only be achieved through the use of heavy gear then you need to face up to the energy-sapping truth or hire a roadie.

On the other hand, if 'your' tone can be found via lightweight gear then you are doubly happy!!

On the third hand (which few of us born outside Norwich are lucky enough to possess), the compromise involves balancing the load-in/take-down weight (mass!) against the sound you ideally wish to hear. From a personal point of view, I feel that I have achieved that with the BFB Vintage - but you may disagree! Or YMMV as more web-savvy folk may phrase it...

It's your money dude - do your homework and purchase at will!

Edited by Conan