Why become a member? ×

Problems setting up floor pod for live work

Guest MoJo

I recently bought a Line 6 Bass Floor Pod after having favourable results using the Studio 110 combo. I plugged in my headphones and set up some usable patches. Plugging in an iPod, I discovered that the Floor Pod would prove to be an invaluable home rehearsal tool. I was very impressed with the amp models and thought that I could possibly also use the Pod for live work as it would appear to have been designed for.
Today I plugged it into both my Peavey Max 450 and my Hartke Kickback 12 and was disappointed with the results. The patches I had set up sounded nothing like they had in the headphones. My first thought was to alter the patches to suit the amps but then if I wanted to take a line out to the desk on bigger gigs, the sounds I had set up initially will have gone.
Has anyone else experienced this dilemma when using a Pod live? I don't want to give up on the Pod just yet.

Cheers
Mark

I thought that by setting it up through headphones, the sound out of a full range PA would be very similar. The voicing of the bass cabs obviously changes the sound of the original patch

[quote name='bassman2790' post='1073031' date='Dec 30 2010, 08:23 PM']I recently bought a Line 6 Bass Floor Pod after having favourable results using the Studio 110 combo. I plugged in my headphones and set up some usable patches. Plugging in an iPod, I discovered that the Floor Pod would prove to be an invaluable home rehearsal tool. I was very impressed with the amp models and thought that I could possibly also use the Pod for live work as it would appear to have been designed for.
Today I plugged it into both my Peavey Max 450 and my Hartke Kickback 12 and was disappointed with the results. The patches I had set up sounded nothing like they had in the headphones. My first thought was to alter the patches to suit the amps but then if I wanted to take a line out to the desk on bigger gigs, the sounds I had set up initially will have gone.
Has anyone else experienced this dilemma when using a Pod live? I don't want to give up on the Pod just yet.

Cheers
Mark[/quote]

The assumptuion that what works on headphones works live is wrong.
You need to make a set of patches for live use. And you need to tweak them to sound right at live volume, because similarly you can´t just set a sound and just turn the volume up... it is not the same thing.
It caught me out too on guitar when I got my first multiFX...

You just need to set up your presets according to what they´ll be used for. You may work out a combination of FX with headphones to get you somewhat near, but you *will* have to readjust them to sound right in the live context: higher volume, within a band, etc.

Hi Bassman,

Yep - firstly earphones will sound very different from any other medium, be it PA or Amp - unfortunately that's just the way it is and can be made worse by the colouring that earphones can add to those amp sims. I have a few patches for recording guitar that I set up through my studio gear but sounds dreadful through my (quality) cans. I just have to remember to not edit the patch if I record with earphones - because I know it sounds great through my monitors!

I don't wanna teach to suck eggs - but have you checked the POD's output mode, as you can configure it for live/PA use or plugging straight in to a desk which dramatically re-voices the amp & cab sims. I've found that in the wrong mode the sims can sound muddy when plugged in to backline. Which to me seems logical, because you'd be sending a simulation of an Amp, Cab and Microphone combination in to an Amp and Speaker, not really designed to monitor such.

Hope this helps a bit!

Doooood

[quote name='dood' post='1073125' date='Dec 30 2010, 08:33 PM']I don't wanna teach to suck eggs - but have you checked the POD's output mode, as you can configure it for live/PA use or plugging straight in to a desk which dramatically re-voices the amp & cab sims. I've found that in the wrong mode the sims can sound muddy when plugged in to backline.[/quote]
The floor pod has two separate output sockets one to connect to an amp and the other to connect to a desk. I have tried both and the desk one does seem muddier.

[quote name='dood' post='1073125' date='Dec 30 2010, 08:33 PM']Hope this helps a bit!

Doooood[/quote]

It does indeed as do the other posts. I will have to experiment further methinks