Why become a member? ×

Interesting memories

obbm

For those that weren't around here when this forum was Bassworld I used to play for a blues/rock band called Old Blue Moses, hence my username Old Blue Bass Man, which was shortened by everyone to obbm. The band and I had a very public and acrimonious parting of the ways in 2004 after I discovered that I'd been regularly short-changed. Eventually I discovered it, queried why I was £10 short and was promptly fired. About 3-years later they imploded. Just to while away so time this afternoon I thought I'd see if there was anything of them on YouTube.

Bingo, a video of the House of the Rising Sun, however all is not as it seems. The soundtrack comes from a demo album we recorded whilst I was in the band. I always felt that the whole thing was totally sanitised during mixing as it lost lost all the urgency and energy of the live performances. Some of the video was recorded before I left and some, mostly the monchrome bits, after with the new bass player. Looking closely and I can see I'm there playing my old red Stingray 5. There's even a flash of my Ashdown amp. A bit cheeky really.

What memories, what memories.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' post='1075430' date='Jan 2 2011, 04:19 PM']For those that weren't around here when this forum was Bassworld I used to play for a blues/rock band called Old Blue Moses, hence my username Old Blue Bass Man, which was shortened by everyone to obbm. The band and I had a very public and acrimonious parting of the ways in 2004 after I discovered that I'd been regularly short-changed. Eventually I discovered it, queried why I was £10 short and was promptly fired. About 3-years later they imploded. Just to while away so time this afternoon I thought I'd see if there was anything of them on YouTube.

Bingo, a video of the House of the Rising Sun, however all is not as it seems. The soundtrack comes from a demo album we recorded whilst I was in the band. I always felt that the whole thing was totally sanitised during mixing as it lost lost all the urgency and energy of the live performances. Some of the video was recorded before I left and some, mostly the monchrome bits, after with the new bass player. Looking closely and I can see I'm there playing my old red Stingray 5. There's even a flash of my Ashdown amp. A bit cheeky really.

What memories, what memories.[/quote]

Quite a similar story here actually, all sorts of stuff going on in the background of my old band when it imploded. Strange thing is they resurfaced(the singer and guitard) a while ago with the original members of the band according to their website......hmm, I don't remember moving back down to Devon! Anyways, I found this rather interesting little clip and tbh I'm rather glad I'm up here playing with some relatively sane people!

Happy new year Dave and thanks for posting the vid.
I haven't got the best memory in the world, but I'm not bad on faces, and I recognise the sax player from the 'Blues Boys', who played our northern Colne blues festival several times.
I saw them in the bar at the Municipal hall, and he also played some tasty guitar on a home made looking flying V.

Cameron

[quote name='wayne58' post='1076217' date='Jan 3 2011, 12:45 PM']Happy new year Dave and thanks for posting the vid.
I haven't got the best memory in the world, but I'm not bad on faces, and I recognise the sax player from the 'Blues Boys', who played our northern Colne blues festival several times.
I saw them in the bar at the Municipal hall, and he also played some tasty guitar on a home made looking flying V.

Cameron[/quote]

Yes that's Keith. I've not seen him for several years but sax and flying V is his bag.