Why become a member? ×

Fender Sting Signature

Sean

How does the Fender Sting signature bass compare to a traditional precision? I know it has a single coil and different shaped headstock but does it compare more to a Jazz with the neck pup on full or to a standard P?

And...

When did he drop the Ibanez Musician that we all knew and loved him for?

I also remember he used to play a white Spector and a "proper" natural precison so where did that Telecaster type bass come from?

You could say that the telecaster type bass [i]is[/i] a "proper" precision. I think they stopped using this design for a precision and turned to the design we know as a precision in... 1958, 1959 maybe? around then, not quite sure exactly when. I'd go for a mike dirnt precision if you like the shape but also like a precision pickup.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='123142' date='Jan 18 2008, 09:19 PM']Wildo,

I'm not sure why they are doing so many Sig basses..... IMO they all fall short of Pino's sig P... (Hideous colour, but F***kin amazin' otherwise!)[/quote]

Slight difference in price, too.

I like the Sting P. I just don't like the hideous Stinglay at the 12th fret.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='123655' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:53 AM']Slight difference in price, too.[/quote]
Point taken....

However, call me old fashioned but I believe a Signature model should be an instrument the endorsee would actually play...

Pino would use one of his Sig basses because its basically a custom shop....

Stuff like the Frank Bello P, is what I'm on about, togetehr with Epiphones Slash Sig Les Paul (they do make a very expesnive Gibson Sig, well done Gibson) Fender will I'm sure have made Franks 'proper' bass in the Custom Shop whereas the Mex made cheapo that is in his name seems to me like a:-

'we're not sure how many of these we'll sell, so lets make it cheaply then we havent lost a great deal if it doesnt sell'

Approach to marketing.

Maybe I just need a rant today.... :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='123679' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:36 AM']Point taken....

However, call me old fashioned but I believe a Signature model should be an instrument the endorsee would actually play...

Pino would use one of his Sig basses because its basically a custom shop....

Stuff like the Frank Bello P, is what I'm on about, togetehr with Epiphones Slash Sig Les Paul (they do make a very expesnive Gibson Sig, well done Gibson) Fender will I'm sure have made Franks 'proper' bass in the Custom Shop whereas the Mex made cheapo that is in his name seems to me like a:-

'we're not sure how many of these we'll sell, so lets make it cheaply then we havent lost a great deal if it doesnt sell'

Approach to marketing.

Maybe I just need a rant today.... :)[/quote]

It's marketing, that's all.

I suspect most young'ins who want to be Frank Bello could only afford MIM prices. They're decent basses, so... why not?

Stings bass is a real one - a 1953 precision bass. He has a thing about vintage instruments and now detests new ones. His sig bass is a copy. He was using the Spector on Synchronicity tour so I guess he stopped using the Musician one they becaume superstars and he could have any bass he wanted. I think they (Ibanez Musician) are fabulous basses but f*** me are they heavy.