Why become a member? ×

Nut bodge.

paul h

I recently bought a cheap P as a back up bass but imagine my chagrin when I realised that swapping between a J neck and the aforementioned P was not as easy as I remembered. I have been trying to find a suitable J neck to fit to it but the trouble with that malarkey is that pretty soon a cheap P bass is not so cheap any more.

The problem is not so much the neck size as I find both quite comfortable but the string spacing. I find going from the J to the P has me missing strings occasionally.

So how about this for a solution...

What if I simply replace the nut with a J sized one?

Apart from a bit of spare fretboard either side I think it might just work.

What say you?

It works a treat. I have a custom fretless bass with a precision width neck were I cut the nut slots to (almost) jazz width.

When I made the thing many years ago now I read that the extra mass of a wider neck improved the sound of a fretless - hence my wide neck but with narrower string spacing.

As you only in theory touch the back of the neck with your thumb with fingers curled around to touch the strings you feel the string spacing but the width of the neck is only apparent when you grasp the neck ( am I explaining that properly?)

I 've always thought that if you don't like say a Precision width neck there is plenty of scope for adjusting the nut as you suggest without resorting to changing necks. Yet this option never seems to be discussed. Just my thoughts...