Why become a member? ×

Retailers and email replies

Marvin

I have on a couple occasions contacted music shops, in the southwest, via email, enquiring about whether they stocked certain items (a bass or an amp) or whether if they didn't stock it, if they could source it and if so how much.

I have never received a reply. Which in these difficult times, so we are told, is to their detriment as I've gone elsewhere to buy what I've wanted.

It would seem to me that some shops have an online presence but don't either know how to use it or it's potential.

Come on guys, get with it please.

I've never really bothered with emailing shops, but I did buy my Ashdown MK500 amp from a shop called Academy of Sound. I ordered it online, but when I rang up to ask about the shipping they were very on the ball, excellent customer service.

However, the top luthiers in the country like Rob Green, Alan Cringean and Jon Shuker are excellent at replying to emails with the answers you seek!

Compare it with American customer service. I e-mailed Avatar Speakers on New Years Day, and got an e-mail back from them yesterday.

No excuse really, think its a case of the American way is that a reply may generate a sale, whereas the British way seems to be "too much messin abt mate".

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1077187' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:17 PM']I've never really bothered with emailing shops, but I did buy my Ashdown MK500 amp from a shop called Academy of Sound. I ordered it online, but when I rang up to ask about the shipping they were very on the ball, excellent customer service.

However, the top luthiers in the country like Rob Green, Alan Cringean and Jon Shuker are excellent at replying to emails with the answers you seek![/quote]

Apparently there's a very nice man who works at the Academy of Sound :lol:.

I tend to email as it's more convenient for me - by the time I'm back from work and the kids are asleep etc most shops are shut.

Responding to customers in whatever form, promptly, makes a huge difference - I think :) The example you give of the top luthiers is a good one, part of their reputation is built on that personal touch I should imagine. (I'm guessing a bit now :))

Having been someone on the other end who has had to say "I'll get back to you as soon as possible" as I've not had the info to hand, the surprise you get from a customer when you get back to them promptly always struck me as remarkable, and probably says a lot about the state of many companies attitude's.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1077219' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:48 PM']There is no waiting for someone to answer the phone by someone who may be busy dealing with someone who could actually get into the shop. Pet peev of mine from doing counter sales where the boss wants you to ignore the person who has actually bothered to come in for someone on the phone to me it's akin to queue jumping and extremely ignorant t the person standing there waiting or maybe already being served and I hate doing it.[/quote]

+1 to this. I briefly worked for Zavvi a few years back, and refused to answer the phone if I had customers waiting. Infuriated the bosses, that did. Their fault for putting me in the computer games section when I specifically requested otherwise.

But I digress.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1077235' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:58 PM']I personally have a phone phobia. I hate phones - this stems from a job I once had whereby if my personal line rang it was always a problem, hence I associate phones with problems.
But I digress. :)[/quote]

I had something similar with "trim phones" which stemmed from a job I had when if it rang around 10.00 pm it was the night shift ringing to complain about something to me. It took me some time to hear a trim phone ring and not have my heart in my mouth!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='1077341' date='Jan 4 2011, 02:21 PM']I had something similar with "trim phones" which stemmed from a job I had when if it rang around 10.00 pm it was the night shift ringing to complain about something to me. It took me some time to hear a trim phone ring and not have my heart in my mouth![/quote]
Part of my job was to find cover for people who went sick, my phone would only ring if someone was ringing in sick. Finding cover was a major headache.

Part of my job is to source parts.

Email is OK, but not for everything. The trick is to know which type of communication to use for what.

Often I'll email a retailer and don't hear anything back. After a day I'll call them by phone to chase. Usually they've passed my email on to their supplier and forgotten about it or are still waiting for a reply. Very rarely do they ignore it.

My standard approach is email the technical details. Wait 24hours and if no reply then call to check they've done something about it.

If its not a technical question eg do you sell X or can you get it for me? Then you should always use the phone.

There is a ringtone I can't stand due to a manager who used to call constantly to check up on where I was.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1077200' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:31 PM']Apparently there's a very nice man who works at the Academy of Sound :).[/quote]

If it's someone round here (Pete Academy, maybe?) then the shop is excellent wih customer service and sells great stuff. An Ashdown MK500 combo for £500? Excellent! :)

[quote name='Johnston' post='1077252' date='Jan 4 2011, 01:12 PM']I've had in two place 1 was car parts, a shop full of people and the managers looking the phones answered because the ringing is annoying him and actually telling you leave a customer you were already dealing with standing to answer the phone. It just looks bad.

the other place was forklift parts, we were supposed to get our engineers sorted if we were too slow at that there was shouting. Deal with customers at the counter of course do the sales pitch . But most of all answer the phone within 5 rings and still do the rest.

For some reason every phone call is thought to be a bigger sale than the person actually standing with cash in his hand opposite you.[/quote]

The way I understand it is this....

The customer standing in front of you, who has (say) bothered to get in their car and drive to your shop, is less likely to walk out and drive somewhere else while the person behind the counter answers the phone.

The customer on the phone hasn't yet made up their mind if they're going to buy from you. They may be checking prices or availability but if you don't answer the phone coz you're dealing with a personal visitor, they're highly likely to call someone else for their potential purchase.

In other words, the personal caller is a 'captive market' so not as high a priority as the undecided telephone caller.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1077189' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:18 PM']Compare it with American customer service. I e-mailed Avatar Speakers on New Years Day, and got an e-mail back from them yesterday.

No excuse really, think its a case of the American way is that a reply may generate a sale, whereas the British way seems to be "too much messin abt mate".[/quote]

I used to email Phil Kubicki when he was based in California and even though I'd bought my bass second hand, he always offered good advice and even gave me his workshop phone number incase I needed to chat via telephone! Excellent customer service.

[quote name='woodster' post='1077511' date='Jan 4 2011, 04:54 PM']The way I understand it is this....

The customer standing in front of you, who has (say) bothered to get in their car and drive to your shop, is less likely to walk out and drive somewhere else while the person behind the counter answers the phone.

The customer on the phone hasn't yet made up their mind if they're going to buy from you. They may be checking prices or availability but if you don't answer the phone coz you're dealing with a personal visitor, they're highly likely to call someone else for their potential purchase.

In other words, the personal caller is a 'captive market' so not as high a priority as the undecided telephone caller.[/quote]

All the more inexplicable that so many companies don't answer emails. Often what I do is email several companies the same question. On the basis I seldom get more than one reply, it's very easy to decide who gets the business.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1077219' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:48 PM']... There is no waiting for someone to answer the phone by someone who may be busy dealing with someone who could actually get into the shop. Pet peev of mine from doing counter sales where the boss wants you to ignore the person who has actually bothered to come in for someone on the phone to me it's akin to queue jumping and extremely ignorant t the person standing there waiting or maybe already being served and I hate doing it.[/quote]
If I'm talking to someone in a shop and they ignore me to take a phone call I often walk out.

I guess it depends on the goods or services being purchased. If I've already located the goods and the best price, I'm hardly likely to walk out and possibly drive somewhere else or go back to the Net to locate an alternative supplier just coz I didn't want to wait a few minutes for the salesman to be available.

Maybe I would with common goods with mass suppliers and an outlet on every corner but that's a little different.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1077189' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:18 PM']Compare it with American customer service. I e-mailed Avatar Speakers on New Years Day, and got an e-mail back from them yesterday.[/quote]
I had just as many problems with US companies as with UK ones.
I've been trying to get an answer from Musicman customer services for weeks - I'd heard lots about how fantastic their customer services are but I've found them to be completely useless.
Zon are the same - bloody hopeless at replying to emails.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1077235' date='Jan 4 2011, 12:58 PM']I personally have a phone phobia. I hate phones - this stems from a job I once had whereby if my personal line rang it was always a problem, hence I associate phones with problems.[/quote]
I'm the same. I hate the bloody things. If the phone rings in our house & there's nobody else in then it doesn't get answered.
If I have to phone someone for any reason I have to spend 15 minutes or so psyching myself up for it.

Having seen Sterling Ball stomping around the internet I'm not surprised to see that EB don't really care about their customers. Again, I've heard of lots of trouble with getting in touch with Joe Zon but the Zon operation is extremely small and extremely busy. Still, how long does a quick email take? There can't be much worse than worrying while you wait for a £2000 bass!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1077476' date='Jan 4 2011, 04:31 PM']If it's someone round here (Pete Academy, maybe?) then the shop is excellent wih customer service and sells great stuff. An Ashdown MK500 combo for £500? Excellent! :)[/quote]

That's the fella. Thoroughly decent chap.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1077826' date='Jan 4 2011, 08:28 PM']That's the fella. Thoroughly decent chap.[/quote]

Thanks Marvin...didn't realise it was you. :)

I always stress to the staff that emails need to be dealt with quickly. It doesn't always happen, especially if we're really busy or short-staffed, but I know it would piss me off, too.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1077836' date='Jan 4 2011, 08:33 PM']Thanks Marvin...didn't realise it was you. :)[/quote]

Didn't you? Blimely, I must have been away longer than I thought :) :lol:

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1077836' date='Jan 4 2011, 08:33 PM']I always stress to the staff that emails need to be dealt with quickly. It doesn't always happen, especially if we're really busy or short-staffed, but I know it would piss me off, too.[/quote]

And that's why you're a thoroughly decent chap. Treat others etc etc.

Is the money in the post? :D

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1077836' date='Jan 4 2011, 08:33 PM']Thanks Marvin...didn't realise it was you. :)

I always stress to the staff that emails need to be dealt with quickly. It doesn't always happen, especially if we're really busy or short-staffed, but I know it would piss me off, too.[/quote]

Cheers for the amp Pete, I love it! :)